Retail Bakery - Cake Pops

Business By gr8chefmrd Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 10:40pm by KimAZ

gr8chefmrd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8chefmrd Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 11

what do you guys think about the cake pops. would you add them to your retail bakery. Im thinking about it.let me know

10 replies
martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 11

I would add them as they are such a HOT item right now....couldnt hurt and it gives your customers a different choice.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 11

I just started selling them today. People have been ordering from me for weddings, but I never sold them in the shop. I have them individually packaged in the little treat bags, tied with a bow, and they are stuck in a bowl of sugar on top of the counter icon_biggrin.gif They are a bit of a PITA but I am hoping to sell some...at least they last a long time!

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

...at least they last a long time!

Just curiuos as to how long they last? Thanks.

tiaracakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiaracakes Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 11

Yep a lot of bakers are adding them to their menu

Dayti Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb20fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

...at least they last a long time!

Just curiuos as to how long they last? Thanks.

I would say at least a week. They are at room temp during the day, I will store them in the fridge at night. They will stay moist, and are airtight with the chocolate + packaging. I have had a few as a test on my counter in the bakery kitchen, at room temp day and night, and a week later they were still good. I wouldn't SELL them past a week though I don't think. But I would eat them myself icon_redface.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 11

Just to add on about how popular they are these days. I put some cake balls on display in the window just the other day with a little sign about a Valentine's day special. I had 3 different people order them yesterday! Only 1 was for Valentine's Day. I sell them in a box of 8 which is exactly 1/2 lb. One lady ordered a 2 tier cake for a birthday and 4 boxes of cake balls. A bride was ordered wedding cupcakes, a 2 tier cake for the top and instead of flowers on the cake, she wanted cake balls instead because she wanted something different. So, I'm hoping this works out. We've really just started doing them and this was the first time I've even tried to sale them. They are really popular right now.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 11

I read an article in our local city magazine about what is hot and what is not. Cake pops were listed as the old trend. I thought that was so weird since I just started hearing about them on here a few months ago. The article said that the big thing now is cake truffles. I'm guessing a cake truffle is the same thing as a cake ball? Truffle does sound nicer then ball. Or maybe that is just the immature 12yo boy in me? Probably.

BrindysBackyard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrindysBackyard Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez73

I would add them as they are such a HOT item right now....couldnt hurt and it gives your customers a different choice.

I agree 100%

If cake pops are the old trend then why are the such a hot item?? It seems that the people writing that article are writing more of their opinion. If the new hot item is cake truffles and is more or less a fancy way of saying Cake Pops, why change what people know? You can always have a sign that says we also have Cake Truffles ... just box cake pops in a pretty box and charge them more icon_biggrin.gif

Dayti Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 11

Bah, cake truffles are the same as cake pops, but with no stick. I get on better with the dipping and decorating if I have a stick to grab, so I say cake pops are hotter icon_biggrin.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 11

Every cupcake store near me offers cake pops/truffles or whatever they want to call them now. Anywhere from $1.50-$3.00 each.

KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%