Tasting... A Little Confused

Business By Pebbles1727 Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 12:12am by CupQuequito

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:11pm
post #31 of 41

My tastings usually have 3 flavors of cake, 3 - 4 fillings, 3 buttercreams and I also give a taste of fondant since I use Fondarific and it does taste good. They may ask for certain flavors but it's usually what I have on hand. I always do White Almond cake, chocolate cake and strawberry cake. If I happen so have something else and they are having a bigger wedding, I might give them that flavor also. I put everyone is separate containers and invite them to mix and match.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:15pm
post #32 of 41

scp-
can you enlighten me to what "infused" means? Is it just a fancy way of saying that the cake has vanilla stirring into the batter? Is it a special process?

I guess I'm gourmet challenged!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm
post #33 of 41

I don't ever really let them "choose" the flavors. For the complimentary tasting, they get 3 of whatever I have baked that week. If there is one that they specifically want to try, there is a $10. fee for it.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:04pm
post #34 of 41

I thought infused meant a syrup or juice or liquor drizzled over it, or brushed on.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 11:17pm
post #35 of 41

jentreu, I looked up the word before I answered... it means "to pour"... can you believe it? I use it as a descriptive word when I am describing a small ingredient used to impact a big flavor change. For example, my strawberries are infused with Grand Marnier. You can't really identify the flavor, but you know I added something to the strawberries. I also add it to my dates in my date nut bread. I also use it this way... raspberry french buttercream infused with just the right touch of kahlua. Or you could use it in the same recipe as... topped with french buttercream infused with our pure fruit raspberry puree for a decadent taste experience.

If you can cause a customer to taste your baked goods with words, they need it more than chocolate cake with raspberry icing. This is a great tool to use in a world where commerce is taking place on the internet more and more and the written word is often your first impression to a potential client.

I thought about that client request after I wrote my last post and this doesn't make any sense. Maybe one of those flavors for a tier would be ok, but those are the kind of cakes that 80% will love and 20% will think it is the worst cake they have ever had. Those recipes are not guaranteed crowd pleasers, so who would want 20% of their guests thinking the cake was disgusting? I bring those cakes to gatherings or donations and that's how I sell them later. But someone always tells me they don't like them. I am mainly referring to alcohol in cakes. Most people like Grand Marnier, but limoncello is not always liked. Even my Bailey's cake, which is my favorite, always has someone who pushes it away. So my suggestion is to have one of those flavors, but not all three. There needs to be a white or chocolate cake thrown in the mix.

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 11:38pm
post #36 of 41

ummm...if she did cut and paste from that link then I have one question.

Why isnt she baking the cake herself? That article is directed at brides who are doing it themselves.

Is she coming to see what it should taste like when she bakes it? icon_confused.gif

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:21pm
post #37 of 41

Morning everyone,
just wanted to update you. I've heard from the bride after my e-mail and she will be tasting my vanilla, chocolate, and carrot cakes only. Yeah!!!! Thank you all for giving me courage to get her back to Earth.
We are on the same planet now!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:51pm
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles1727

Morning everyone,
just wanted to update you. I've heard from the bride after my e-mail and she will be tasting my vanilla, chocolate, and carrot cakes only. Yeah!!!! Thank you all for giving me courage to get her back to Earth.

That's awesome! Good for you!

laurenboxall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurenboxall Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:06pm
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles1727

Morning everyone,

Woo hoo! That's great news. Here's hoping that the rest of the process is trouble-free!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:54pm
post #40 of 41

good for you! Way to set up some boundaries, you won't be sorry!

scp- that makes total sense. Thanks for the reply and the explanation!

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:12am
post #41 of 41

Wow... some people!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%