Grrrrr Confetti Cake! Ack!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 2:49am by AmysCakesNCandies

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 24

icon_cry.gificon_mad.gif is it just me or does anyone else hate the sound/idea of confetti cake!!??
I get a request for this type of cake every once in a while and I just don't get it!! icon_confused.gif whhhyyy? it's just plain white cake with sprinkles in it! I know I can jazz up the flavor a bit...but I feel like the sprinkles ruin the texture and flavor of the cake. anyone else? icon_rolleyes.gif

23 replies
jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 24

It is the fun cutesieness of it. Would I want it no! but so people like cute

LogansMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LogansMommie Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 24

It's one of my most requested (partly because I make Children's birthday cakes more than anything else!) - I actually love it as do all my customers! I don't think it changes the texture or flavor at all. It's just a fun surprise when you cut into the cake. We do have fun with the fillings to add more flavor than just a plain vanilla cake though.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 24

I know this is a confetti cake hate thread, but I have been wanting to try one!

Can I use the tiny round sprinkles that are shaped like little balls, or must I use the long shaped sprinkles? I'm not sure why one would be better than the other, but I saw someone say to use the long ones, but she didn't give a reason why.

And anyone have any advice how much to use for a standard 8" cake?

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 24

The small non-pareil size sprinkles will melt & disappear turning your batter a very weird color (trust me on this one icon_redface.gif )

If you are mixing in your own sprinkles, use the larger ones and do it right at the very end before you load your pans.

I actually had a request for a wedding cake with confetti sprinkles (yes, a very young bride/groom)

Kristy

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 24

I like Wilton's Rainbow Chip Crunch.

step0nmi Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 24

I shouldn't say I hate confetti cake lol :p but I just think it's kinda gross. i've only used the box mix so I didn't realize you could add stuff at the very end. I think I might try doing just a white cake and my own sprinkles this time around icon_smile.gif

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 24

yeah, i'm in the 'don't get it' camp. that said, i make 'disco hippie' (pics in my gallery & my avatar) for the vanilla/white cake option icon_surprised.gif)

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 24

{i'm still in college} and my friends ask for confetti cake all the time! i hate baking with pillsbury but dh came out with its own version and now i make it whenever requested with no hesitation! i don't really get it either though, to me its just white cake! haha

zespri Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 24

I did that once, and the cupcakes tasted terrible! I've always wondered if it was the cupcake recipe or the food colouring. I had to use quite a lot of colouring to get them vibrant. Do you find yours taste yuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbriggs06

yeah, i'm in the 'don't get it' camp. that said, i make 'disco hippie' (pics in my gallery & my avatar) for the vanilla/white cake option icon_surprised.gif)

mrsbriggs06 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 24

nope, it's my most requested flavor. you need to use lighter colors, (purple & black are NOT good for example) & use a nice high concentrated gel color sparingly. mine don't taste any different from my regular white cake-- they just look different! icon_smile.gif

zespri Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 24

I did have purple in there. And red, which is often a problem with taste (never seen no-taste red here in NZ, will keep looking for it). Thanks, next time I'll omit the purple.

Quote:

nope, it's my most requested flavor. you need to use lighter colors, (purple & black are NOT good for example) & use a nice high concentrated gel color sparingly. mine don't taste any different from my regular white cake-- they just look different! icon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 24

Waaay back in the dark days before I knew how to decorate cakes and when my daughter was small, making a confetti cake was special! I didn't use the premixed ones though. MY confetti cakes were color coordinated icon_lol.gif. White cake with pink sprinkles, filled and frosted pink with white sprinkles on top and white candles. Woo! I had it going on! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Actually, I haven't made one in years and years but for a kid's birthday, I think they're great!

zespri Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:14pm
post #14 of 24

Thanks for this, I always have to know WHY.

I'll hunt around and try to find the long ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

The small non-pareil size sprinkles will melt & disappear turning your batter a very weird color (trust me on this one icon_redface.gif )

If you are mixing in your own sprinkles, use the larger ones and do it right at the very end before you load your pans.

I actually had a request for a wedding cake with confetti sprinkles (yes, a very young bride/groom)

Kristy

step0nmi Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:24pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:

gel color!? how do you do yours with that? very curious

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:41pm
post #16 of 24

I never noticed a change in texture from the sprinkles. I use the multicolored jimmies from the grocery store. I think it's more for kids, but there's something about colors that just make it taste better, LOL.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:47pm
post #17 of 24

My local bulk store had larger circular flat sprinkles. They are more like mini discs and they work great!! They melt right in, only leaving colour behind.The only downside is that they dont include any girl colours so a little lady might not find it at pretty.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:47pm
post #18 of 24

I think the point with confetti cakes is that it's fun for kids. It's not really aimed toward adults (although I'm sure there would be adults around who get just as excited about it). It's a fun, easy way to add a bit of colour to the batter without actually colouring ALL the batter. A few specks of colour through the cake won't bother most people, but solid colour turns a lot off.

step0nmi Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:57pm
post #19 of 24

yea, i have "adults" order it for themselves :p

mrsbriggs06 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 10:04pm
post #20 of 24

mix in the gel color to get the shade you want

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 12:34am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel58

My local bulk store had larger circular flat sprinkles. They are more like mini discs and they work great!! They melt right in, only leaving colour behind.The only downside is that they dont include any girl colours so a little lady might not find it at pretty.

Valentines day sprinkles work great for girls. Buy them after the holiday and keep on hand. Again, not my thing but some do enjoy.

step0nmi Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 1:00am
post #22 of 24
Quote:

mix in the gel color to get the shade you want

ohhh...you were talking about that picture to the right...I was still talking about the confetti cake and didn't figure out how that correlated icon_redface.gif

you guys have restored my faith in confetti cake! going to try adding my own sprinkles to my own recipe this time around..thanks! thumbs_up.gif

zespri Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:43am
post #23 of 24

what do the confetti lovers out there fill the cakes with? do you put vanilla buttercream in with sprinkles mixed into it, or would the sprinkles kinda melt into the icing?

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:49am
post #24 of 24

I've actually had requests for confetti cake with colors to match wedding colors, corny in my opionion, but I don't dislike the taste. I use Jimmies, you can get them in individual colors or rainbow at most cake supply stores.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%