How-To For Edible Images On Gumpaste

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 6:01pm by DianeLM

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:35am
post #1 of 3

Hello my fellow CCs.

I have been looking at the photo gallery of cakes that are noted to have "edible images on gumpaste". I was wondering 1. can this work on fondant or fondant/gumpaste mix, 2. how far in advance can the edible image be placed on the fondant/gumpaste/fondant-gumpaste mix, 3. what are the how-tos of making this image stick to the fondant...gumpaste, lastly 4. how do you get the clean edges?

In a nutshell, what are the pros, cons, how-tos, dos/don't of making this image to place upon a cake.
Thanks In Advance

2 replies
KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 3

Really? Someone has surely worked with the edible image and gumpaste method. I haven't and I have a cake to do in 2 weeks that resembles some of the cakes that claim to have the edible image applied to gumpaste. Will someone answer the above questions?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 3

First, regarding the lack of responses, it appears you posted your question at 1:35 in the morning. I hazard to guess most of us were sleeping. Please forgive.

1. Yes, you can place EIs on fondant, fond/gp, and gp.

2. The EI should be placed on the gp right away, while the gp is soft.

3. Wipe the gp surface with a slightly damp paper towel. The EI will stick right to it.

4. For clean edges, make sure your EI covers the entire surface of the gp. To do that, roll your gp larger than the EI and leave a border around your EI. Glue the EI to the gp, then use an Xacto knife to cut out the EI and gp at the same time. You can also use a straight edge clay razor if you're making a ribbon or other shape with a long, straight line.

Don't wait too long to cut out your figure, otherwise the EI will begin to dry out and you'll get cracking and fraying around the edges.

If your gp is too soft to cut cleanly, roll it out and allow it to rest for a few minutes before wetting it and applying the EI.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%