I'm Sick Of This Look!

Decorating By mombabytiger Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 3:19am by annie84

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:17am
post #1 of 29

I'm FB friends with tons of cakers and when I have nothing else to do I Facebook stalk them and look at their cake pics. There are certainly a lot of talented cake designers out there!

But - and this is just my opinion, of course - it is getting really tiresome looking at the same designs over and over. Pink stripes. Zebra stripes. A shoe on top of cake. A cake that looks like a purse. Cakes that look like a box. Fondant circles. Etc.

I think there must be something new on the horizon. Wish I were smart enough to figure out what it is! Maybe "back to basics"? Frilly white wedding cake with a little bride and groom on top?

Is anyone else getting sick of looking at pink and black cakes?

28 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:31am
post #2 of 29

i just did yet another black zebra stripe cake with a pink bow today, done a bunch of these, but its what the customer wants im afraid, and im not going to say no because i have done too many. it just shows whats popular at the moment.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:35am
post #3 of 29

It's funny you mention that. I feel the same way sometimes here on CC. I often think "seen it" over and over. That's not to say there aren't some amazing originals but you see a lot of the same cakes over and over. But here is the thing, I think I'm just as guilty.

When I did my wine cake and my turkey cake I felt like these cakes have been done to death but I really wanted to try them myself. And I think one of the most important things is that the people we make the cakes for haven't seen them over and over again.

The last two cakes I've made I tried really hard not to just straight copy someone else's design. The cake I made today (not yet posted) I intentionally didnt search cake central for ideas. I made it up in my head. That doesn't mean it doesn't look like something I could find on here, it just means I didn't use a specific cake as inspiration. I'm trying to continue down that path to flex my creativity muscles.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:40am
post #4 of 29

It comes from the customers, it's what they want. Even though I feel like I've done a ton of zebra sheet cakes, but I try to change up something on each one to make them a little unique. As a business owner, I find that I'm not usually as able to be as creative as I want. So, I find that cake shows allow that creativity.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:10am
post #5 of 29

Yep its the customers!!!!! haha.

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:21am
post #6 of 29

I personally think that a lot of very unique cakes, in design and mediums get overlooked. You really have to look at some cakes up close to see the detail..

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:48am
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

It comes from the customers, it's what they want. Even though I feel like I've done a ton of zebra sheet cakes, but I try to change up something on each one to make them a little unique. As a business owner, I find that I'm not usually as able to be as creative as I want. So, I find that cake shows allow that creativity.

exactly. Plus how many threads do we see on here with people asking "what are the latest trends?" (i HATE the word 'trends'!) just so they can make up dummy cakes in the latest-greatest-most-popular designs for shows and display windows? Then we wonder why brides are ordering the same thing?

However, we also have to remember that while WE have seen these same cakes over and over, its the client's first time in seeing/having that design.

I remember in the 80's that every single weekend, ever single wedding I did was the cake on top of a fountain with stairs and satellite cakes. I still think this is an elegant design (grand centerpiece of the reception, as it should be, as opposed to a dinky 6/8/10 cake shoved in the corner!). I was sick of making it. I complained about making it. But when I was at the reception and heard the "OMG THAT CAKE IS AWESOME!" comments, I realized there were a new batch a 100 people who were seeing it for the first time.

KalliCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalliCakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:56am
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

exactly. Plus how many threads do we see on here with people asking "what are the latest trends?" (i HATE the word 'trends'!) just so they can make up dummy cakes in the latest-greatest-most-popular designs for shows and display windows? Then we wonder why brides are ordering the same thing?

However, we also have to remember that while WE have seen these same cakes over and over, its the client's first time in seeing/having that design.

I remember in the 80's that every single weekend, ever single wedding I did was the cake on top of a fountain with stairs and satellite cakes. I still think this is an elegant design (grand centerpiece of the reception, as it should be, as opposed to a dinky 6/8/10 cake shoved in the corner!). I was sick of making it. I complained about making it. But when I was at the reception and heard the "OMG THAT CAKE IS AWESOME!" comments, I realized there were a new batch a 100 people who were seeing it for the first time.

That's exactly what I keep reminding myself!! :0) I keep pushing myself to do original cakes/cake designs, but the customer's aren't breathing cake day in and day out so they are pleased with cakes that we see weekly! Suppose I should be happy about it! I got to flex that creativity muscle this past cake, but my next cake is almost a complete copy of another cake the customer saw a picture of-just changing out some of the details. Just smile and enjoy!

Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:01am
post #9 of 29

I'm pretty lucky. Since I don't sell my cakes I get to make what I want, and I've seldom made the same cake twice.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:20am
post #10 of 29

When I started I was trying to push the angle that each cake will look unique based on what the customers want (flavors, too). Then I realized that most people are not creative and/or just don't want to spend much time conceptualizing some special look for a cake or a unique cake flavor. I also have a hard time coming up with something without a lot of guidance from the customer. I guess I'm not that creative! Long story short, I gave up that idea and now am trying to come up with 5 signature looks that the customers can just pick for $X and call it a day. And, I rely on the very talented people of this site to give me ideas and inspirations for looks.

So THANK YOU trend setters! I kind of need you icon_biggrin.gif

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 11:03am
post #11 of 29

I'm also thinking of coming up with a few basic designs that a bride can choose from my book, just like she chooses a wedding invitation. She doesn't ask the invitation people to design something totally new. (Usually) She chooses a dress that already exists. I think a lot of money could be saved by the decorator and the customer.

I remember how long it took me to do my first wedding cake. If I'd had to do that same cake the next weekend, I could have done it in half the time. From a business standpoint, it makes a lot of sense. Creativity - not so much.

indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 11:36am
post #12 of 29

(first, doesn't it just tick you off when you have a response all typed out and your stupid mouse glazes over something that makes it all disappear and you have to start over? icon_mad.gif )

years ago (like, decades!) I bought a book of cakes put out by a bakery somewhere out west. I must have slobbered over these cakes 15 times before I realized they were practically all the same cake! Out of 30+ pages, there were 4 maybe 5 different cake designs, but all in different colors. icon_surprised.gif I was amazed AND impressed! What a fabulous idea! As mentioned above, when you do it over and over, you can whip the cake out in no time, which reduces your overhead.

Its also great to show brides how just changing the color can totally change the look of the cake. A bride looking at a deep red and gold cake sometimes has a problem visualizing her spring lavendar and yellow on it.

This was the thought process behind me making this cake http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1422576 in black on 2 sides and red on 2 sides .... to help the bride visualize 2 colors. It was displayed on a turntable for easy rotation.

I think those who want to do the "5 designs and pick one" are making a smart move for their business and I encourage doing the same design in 2-3 colors (or use 2-3 different types of flowers) to show the brides the variety that is attainable. thumbs_up.gif

(please note: because I know how things on here can get blown out of proportion, this clarification must be added ...... because I encourage the 5-designs-pick-one" for those who WANT TO do that, does NOT mean I DISCOURAGE the talented cakers who are very creative and can design a different cake each time. So please don't read it that way. What works for one may not work for another, and that's ok! thumbs_up.gif

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 11:53am
post #13 of 29

I myself do not care for inanimate objects for cakes...I never liked shoes, purses, diaper bags etc... but you make what people ask for. Thankfully, I am lucky. I keep control over what I want to make but not everyone can do that.
If you want to see good work that is new, look at Kandy Cakes here on the site. She joined the cake community here at the beg. of January.
kandycakes is extremely talented but you have to look at her inspirations. She is doing young fresh stuff that maybe some of us are not thinking about.
I don't know her and do not benefit from highlighting her work but she is on to something and she is really good at it.

indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:03pm
post #14 of 29

Chiara, you are right, her work is incredible! I thought the vegetables surrounding her turkey cake looked so real!!! I saved a couple in my faves!!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

I think there must be something new on the horizon...Is anyone else getting sick of looking at pink and black cakes?

I was recently thinking about that when I saw the 652,475th version of a cake that, at one time, I wanted to make. Now I just think it's SO overdone. BUT, really, it's only overdone to those of us who have seen those 652,475 versions of it. If I made it for a friend or a party or work, they'd all think it was amazing and fresh and unique icon_lol.gif.

I think anything new will get old fast to those of us who view the galleries here and elsewhere a lot.

Jaded cakers, that's what we are. icon_wink.gif Oh, and if I DO decide to make a 652,476th version of that cake? I won't post it on CC! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

elliegails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliegails Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:46pm
post #16 of 29

I would love to look at some of Kandy Cakes work...how do I do that, where do I search?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:53pm
post #17 of 29

www.kandycakes.com Here's the flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rokkenrohl/

Frankly I find their work rather creepy.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:38pm
post #18 of 29

I just saw some of the most amazing cakes in another post. They were discussing the "Lambeth" method. Layers on Layers of Royal Icing. This is my new quest...Royal Icing Decor. I know it's hard on a cake, and I know it breaks A LOT, but I also know that I LOVE the look...especially when it is guilded in gold or silver. I usually am pretty free to design as I wish (doing cakes for family and friends), but you are right. Cake customers don't really care about the 101 different cake flavors, filling flavors or icing flavors. They don't care that the world of cake is at their fingertips. They just want a good (not even great, or they wouldn't buy them at wally world) cake, with good icing, mediocre decorations, and a cheap price. Not all, but most are this way. This is why I try to inspire by freeing up my designs to my own choice. I figure...what the heck...if it's free can they really complain.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:56pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

www.kandycakes.com Here's the flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rokkenrohl/

Oh, WOW! Someone's very clever! The hand painting is brilliant, and did you see the frog cookies? - I can only wish I was that talented! And yes, some things are creepy, but intentionally so.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:12pm
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Sorry to be a stickler, but all I see is a lot of copyright infringement. So she can draw Bart Simpson on a cake. I know a lot of people that can draw characters. But that's just reproducing someone else's idea. I'm not sure if I consider that being creative.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:27pm
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofgrace

oh come on! Cane we get past the copyright stuff for 2 seconds and see that it is an incredible work of art!

And the Bart simpson one is the one you pick? Look at the rest! The fairies! Look at the food, look at those houses!

The hand painting is marvellous!

Yes!!!

apieceofcake-dolores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apieceofcake-dolores Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 10:09pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofgrace

oh come on! Cane we get past the copyright stuff for 2 seconds and see that it is an incredible work of art!

And the Bart simpson one is the one you pick? Look at the rest! The fairies! Look at the food, look at those houses!

The hand painting is marvellous!

Agreed!!

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 10:40pm
post #23 of 29

This makes me laugh because for my 40th bday this year, I want a zebra striped cake with hot pink on it!! I'm a hobbyist so I don't make too many cakes. Even though it's probably been done to death, it's still "fresh" to me icon_smile.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:23pm
post #24 of 29

I wish there was a wave of going back to buttercream deco instead of so much fondant. The fondant cakes looks great, but they do NOT inspire me to eat them. I love frosting, it's the BEST part of the cake, so I like it piled high on the cake, not a layer between it and fondant. I saw this youtube vid and the lady made a chinses dragon cake in all buttercream, it even had teeth and claws! I thought it was amazing and I wanted to bite it sooo bad!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:40pm
post #25 of 29

Well ladies it appears we are trying to start a revolution. I too am sick of the same old thing and I appear to be the queen of same old same old. Stripes, dots, zebra stripes blah blah blah.....I want to do something different. But brides aren't wanting to live on the edge and kids parents want the popular invitation/plate design for the birthday party.

Back in the day everything was buttercream piping, string work, royal icing flowers, buttercream transfers. But now that I look at it upside whats going on today it looks old school and dated. I ice in buttercream and accent in fondant but it's nothing new or inventive.

I think with kids birthdays, the plates and invites out there are what is getting us in the done 100 times today on CC pictures. It's whatever is hot at the moment then move on, it used to be the same thing with the Wilton character pans.

So who is going to jump up with a new plan so the rest of us can copy and follow along? I'm all thought out.

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #26 of 29

Where do I go to be able to look at Kandy Cakes work? I tried putting in search but can't get anywhere. Thanks.

Nwbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nwbi Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:43am
post #27 of 29

In response to:

(first, doesn't it just tick you off when you have a response all typed out and your stupid mouse glazes over something that makes it all disappear and you have to start over?)

Press control and Z on your keyboard and it will all come back.

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 2:48am
post #28 of 29

I was just looking through a brides magazine that had some New wedding cake designs. For fresh Ideas try looking at art magazines, etc.

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 3:19am
post #29 of 29

Here's a link to Kandy's facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=68902331415

Her cakes are definitely original and look fantastic. I took a professional class last fall and she taught the section on carved cakes. She's very down to earth and super helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%