Question About Duff's Fondant

Decorating By mommachris Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 12:05am by missrayburn

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:02am
post #1 of 31

I did a search to see if anyone has raised the question about the semi-new product Duff's Fondant. Nothing. I think I hurt my computer's brain.

I've seen the buckets in the local Michaels and was wondering if it is any better than Wilton's ( petuuuwe!) fondant.

So, has anyone tried it?
How's it taste, what is the level of usability and were you happy with it?

TIA.
Mommachris

30 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:33am
post #2 of 31

It's WAYYYYY better than the Wilton fondant. We've used the black and red, fully expecting the black to taste awful, but it was good. The one thing that will stand out when you take it out of the bucket is that it's hard as a rock. I opened one, then a 2nd and was so frustrated that I was going to have to drive 1/2 hour back to the store, each way.

Then something made me look at the side of the container and saw that you have to microwave it before using. Just be careful and do NOT over nuke it or it will be too soft. But it's pliable and stays workable for a verrrryy long time.

In fact, when we covered the wheels in the monster truck cake, it was still so wet when we attached it two days later, we had to fix the shape a bit and clean our hands. But I love to work with it, and it tastes good, and we have friends who wanted tire cakes and then wanted them again, so I guess it must have been pretty good. I'm very happy working with it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:22am
post #4 of 31

I used the chocolate/brown. It tasted like tootsie rolls, everyone liked the taste. I mixed it 50/50 with gumpaste to make animal figures. They never dried and they did hold up on the cake until after the party and then they kind of just sank down into an unrecognizable lump. (or so I was told-didn't see it myself)

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:31am
post #5 of 31

I recently made penguins with the black. It was really easy to work with. Mine hardened up just fine. They were still chewy inside, but they easily held their shape. (There is a picture of them in my photos.)

And like the prior poster, it did taste just like a tootsie roll!

birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:36am
post #6 of 31

It's Fondarific repackaged in his name, so he makes more money. The price is way too high even with coupons. But if that is your only other choice other than Wilton, buy it - atleast it's edible.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 3:21am
post #7 of 31

Thanks for the input. The cost was keeping me from buying it just to see how it tastes. icon_wink.gif
I'm going to have to cover a cake with fondant and was dreading it.
Haven't done that in five years, since I made the standard Class 2 'present' cake at Michaels.
I'll make figures out of the Wilton stuff, but it's just to chemically to actually eat. Blahhhh!

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 3:34am
post #8 of 31

I love it - the car cake in my photos is covered in duff black - and it was a dream to work with. I tried to make my own black fondant for the batman cake in my photos and it was a nightmare and tasted awful with all of the black food coloring I had to put in it. Duff's really does taste like a tootsie roll. I don't live anywhere near a cake supply store, so it is cheaper for me to buy duff fondant with a coupon than to order it online and pay shipping.

Stads65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stads65 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 3:49am
post #9 of 31

It tastes great and covers wonderful. Use alot less then others for sure and with the coupon from Michaels it is not bad at all. I used it on my daughters cake a picture is posted on here. and also the chocolate tastes fab.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:10am
post #10 of 31

I found it easy to work with and a good taste. The price is the only drawback to me. It costs at least twice as much as Satin Ice which also tastes ok. Michael's is just much more convenient than the cake supply store.

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:23am
post #11 of 31

I like working with it too but it takes forever to dry for bow loops etc...a good week

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 11:08am
post #12 of 31

I bought the black and red to do Valentine's cupcakes. I love it. It doesn't harden a great deal, but the figures I made held their shape. And it tastes really good. I haven't tried covering a cake with it yet because it's so expensive.

cownsj Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 31

The stacked tires in my photos are entirely covered in the black. So easy to work with, and when we were done, we took a damp paper towel and wiped it down to get the excess powdered sugar off it. You can see the water bead up, but it dries perfectly, no shiney spots, no spots of any kind, and the black looks perfect. Best part was no elephant skin. We used less than 3 lbs. to cover both the tires, and they were made using the 9" contoured pans. And yes it does go further than Satin Ice or Wilton. I do use the Wilton when making figures or other decorative pieces that won't be eaten. They set up much more quickly and hold their shape so well.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 3:29pm
post #14 of 31

The Duff fondant is merely a private relabeling of Fondarific and Satin Ice. Here's a quote from someone on a different cake forum:
"The stuff you buy with the Duff label actually is what Duff uses in his shop. He uses both Satin Ice & Fondarific in his shop. He now markets BOTH of these under his own name brand. The Duff fondant you get in his DecoPacs is actually Satin Ice and Fondarific is what you're actually getting in the 2lb tubs of Duff Fondant. This has been confirmed by both companies." I've seen this information in other place as well.

So, if you love Duff fondant, you can buy it for a LOT LESS by just buying Satin Ice and Fondarific. I personally don't use either; I use brands from CalJava: FondX or Sweet Inspirations (which is half chocolate and half fondant), or Elite fondant.

You can purchase sample packs with small quanities of the different flavors to try. Here's the information:
Satin Ice Sample Kit, $5:
http://www.cakesupplies4u.com/Departments/Brands/Satin-Ice/White-Vanilla.aspx

Fondarific Flavors Fondant Sample Kit, $7:
http://www.cakesupplies4u.com/Departments/FondantGum-Paste/Buttercream-Fondant.aspx

cownsj Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 12:57am
post #15 of 31

The Duff's containers here must the Fondarific. I've never used Fondarific, except as in the Duff product. I have used the black Satin Ice, as well as their red, ivory and white. Not to mention that the Satin Ice company is only 10 minutes away from the Michaels where I get the black Duff. I like it better than the black Satin Ice. Much better to work with, and better tasting too.

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:08am
post #16 of 31

I use Fondarific and the tubbed Duff stuff is definitely it. If you want to try Fondarific, just go to their website and request a sample pack. I believe you can pick 5 flavors and it gives enough that you see how it is to work with. I love the stuff, but I only buy Duff's in emergency and with coupons. Otherwise I order it through either global sugar art or directly through fondarific website.

cownsj Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 1:29pm
post #17 of 31

I'll have to check their prices with shipping again for this area. In the past they were just way too much that way, and with my coupon I was way ahead at Michaels, even though that price is still too stiff, but it's better than not having it. Maybe with more competition and more buyers they've improved a bit in price. (Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll find that out.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:19pm
post #18 of 31

let me see if i get this straight. Even if i got the duff with a %50 off coupon, it would still be more expensive than fondarific or satin ice?

cownsj Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:37pm
post #19 of 31

It depends on where you are, how much your local decorating shop sells it for, or if you have to order it, you have to determine how much shipping charges are, and they vary based on the distance it has to be shipped. So it will take a little research to determine the best price for you. Plus, if you are like me and have to drive half an hour to get to the store to buy it, I have to spend $10 in gas. So, unless it's an emergency, I try to plan all my purchases for when I have to go to the area anyway (my bank is there)

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:43pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

let me see if i get this straight. Even if i got the duff with a %50 off coupon, it would still be more expensive than fondarific or ?

Nope. I just looked up the prices of fondarific online. The cheapest I found a 2 lb tub was $11.99+. The Duff fondant is $20 for a 2 lb tub, so with a 50% off coupon, that's $10... and you don't have to pay shipping! Even if you buy a 10-lb tub for $58.00 online, it's still cheaper to use 50% off coupons at Michaels and not pay shipping.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:31pm
post #21 of 31

cool!! thanks. I did buy the "white", actually beige, Duff fondant and i really like the way it tastes. i use it for special occasions because i do feel it's a bit pricey.

Maydo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maydo Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:47pm
post #22 of 31

I'm just here to get my name in on this thread. Ignore me!

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 11:11pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

Thanks for the input. The cost was keeping me from buying it just to see how it tastes. icon_wink.gif
I'm going to have to cover a cake with fondant and was dreading it.
Haven't done that in five years, since I made the standard Class 2 'present' cake at Michaels.
I'll make figures out of the Wilton stuff, but it's just to chemically to actually eat. Blahhhh!

Mommachris, if you haven't tried Wilton fondant in 5 years you might want
to give it a try. They change the recipe about a year or so ago and it is not too bad now. There have been a couple of threads about it on here.

Kread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kread Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:17pm
post #24 of 31

I keep getting air bubbles when roll out the duff Fondant...am I doing something wrong? I've been using mmf, so I don't have a ton of experience rolling regular Fondant, but, it seems harder to do. Ant tips would be greaticon_smile.gif

melanier5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanier5 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:10am
post #25 of 31

Tastes great , but refuses to dry in the Mississippi humidity!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:05am
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanier5

Doesn't dry anywhere, no matter what the humidity..... icon_wink.gif

Rae

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:52am
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

cool!! thanks. I did buy the "white", actually beige, Duff fondant and i really like the way it tastes. i use it for special occasions because i do feel it's a bit pricey.

That's a point worth repeating - I bought a bucket of black just to try it, and decided to get a bucket of white too. I was VERY disappointed that they didn't label the white "Ivory". It's off-white. icon_mad.gif

Other than that it was a good experience, especially if you buy fondant in small quantities. The cheapest I can get SI at a cake shop is $17 for a 2lb bucket, but Duff's stuff came to $11 with the coupon. I couldn't give two hoots that it's Duff's (sorry, no offense!), I just bought it because I'd learned it was Fondarific. It tastes GREAT.

I hadn't heard that he uses SI for the decopaks. Interesting!

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 7:58am
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanier5

Doesn't dry anywhere, no matter what the humidity..... icon_wink.gif

Rae

Boy did I learn that the hard way! AND, you can't steam it to make it shiny. I outright melts... thumbsdown.gif

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:35pm
post #29 of 31

I say go with Fondarific. It's the same stuff at a cheaper price.

shaymomx5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaymomx5 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:22pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kread

I keep getting air bubbles when roll out the duff Fondant...am I doing something wrong? I've been using mmf, so I don't have a ton of experience rolling regular Fondant, but, it seems harder to do. Ant tips would be greaticon_smile.gif

I am having the same problem. I have used his fondant in the past and had no issue, but of course cake due today and can't get rid of the air pockets. Anybody have the solution?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%