Multi Questions, Multi Cakes....its Thinking Hat Time People

Decorating By simplysouthern Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 2:13am by simplysouthern

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 10

Hellooooo CCers, its been a while since I've had to post and I hate to do it but PRICING this cake is causing serious heart burn and figuring out a structure for its brother cake is just as bad LOL so here's the drill:

I'm doing a 3d monster truck cake (kill me). This bad boy will sit atop a 9x13 (pretty sure that's big enough for the avg monster truck...right????). I know what my per slice is for everything but 3D and am hurting my wee brain trying to figure out how to price. I can price the bottom 9x13 and the 6 cupcakes I'm using for "hills" but what the heck do I charge for the truck and all through putting together fun??

Next......im also doing a 6" smash cake super easy to price but I'm adding a stand-up rkt tire on top. I'm covering it in modeling chocolate and then hand molding to resemble a tire and piping Happy birthday on the tire wall. So uh what the heck should I charge for this craziness LOL??!! AND Any suggestions on the support for the tire, dowels all the way to bottom of cake and up through through tire was my thought but I've been on bedrest for 2 months so my thoughts suck right now LOL

All right now bring it on!! If you're gonna yell at me for asking pricing (gasp ccers turn ugly) fine but um leave pricing while you do it Hahahaha! jk yall!

Thank you all and I'm sending good cake vibes icon_smile.gif
SS

9 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 10

Hrmmm! lol

Welll for the 9X13 cake - it serves about 12 people more if you cut them small
@ $2 a slice - 24 (If fondant $4 a slice)

$24 or $48

For the monster truck - you can make a cake car - and carve it? It would probably serve about 10 people @ $2-4 a slice $20-$40

You'll probably have left over batter from the monster truck for the cupcakes - you can charge $1-2 a cupcake.

For your smash cake a 6" serves 8 people - depending on where you live and your skill level - you can charge $4-$10 a serving... my above prices are what I do, and where I am from - I am also a begineer - but a very good begineer lol icon_razz.gif

I would charge at least $5-10 for the tire and at least $1-3 for little extra fondant details icon_smile.gif
I usually end up charging way less - but I mostly do cakes for friends and family icon_smile.gif

HTH

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 10

I honestly would not build a smash cake for a baby with dowels inside...and I usually like to stay away from fondant (choking hazard) but that part is personal preference.

Can you not just make a 6" round tire cake for the baby?

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:37am
post #4 of 10

I price 3d carved items by time needed to complete it versus price per serving.

To me, they are a completely different animal from a regular cake. If I charged by serving they would be a huge loss.

A 3d car or truck cake can easily take 4-6 hours to complete, sometimes more if it is extremely detailed or extra large.

Knowing how much you charge per hour would be key to pricing this order. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

simplysouthern Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:02am
post #5 of 10

Deeztreatz, awesome help thank you so much!!

Kitagirl, the tire would be removed and the actual cake is BC with no fondant. The reason I avoided the cake being an actual tire is because I really didn't want the baby to have the black icing all over LOL. So I thought a plan white cake w BC icing and then the tire on top to go w the theme. Removing it before the smash begins! I love your concern, I'm a mommy of 2 and one on the way so trust me I totally appreciate the lookout icon_smile.gif

Kaylani, ok yes that is what I was wondering. Better to do by slice or hour or a combo. Thank you for the tip to charge by hour for the 3D, food idea. I'm thinking the tore cake I will do normal pricing and just add something for the tire.

Thank you ladies I so <3 CC!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:07am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysouthern

Deeztreatz, awesome help thank you so much!!

Kitagirl, the tire would be removed and the actual cake is BC with no fondant. The reason I avoided the cake being an actual tire is because I really didn't want the baby to have the black icing all over LOL. So I thought a plan white cake w BC icing and then the tire on top to go w the theme. Removing it before the smash begins! I love your concern, I'm a mommy of 2 and one on the way so trust me I totally appreciate the lookout icon_smile.gif

Kaylani, ok yes that is what I was wondering. Better to do by slice or hour or a combo. Thank you for the tip to charge by hour for the 3D, food idea. I'm thinking the tore cake I will do normal pricing and just add something for the tire.

Thank you ladies I so <3 CC!!

Sounds great! icon_smile.gif

I have four kids and they were always so "gaggy" still at that age so I get freaked out about anything other than cake and buttercream for smash cakes. hahaha.

Have fun!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:50am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezTreatz

Hrmmm! lol

icon_eek.gif Dang!! You guys serve cakes the size of bricks!!! 12 pieces from a 9x13 means those pieces are cut in 3 rows by 4 columns = 3"x3" pieces! Industry standard is 2x2x2" = 4 rows by 6 columns = 24 servings. My clients were always welcome to cut the thing in half and eat it with 2 forks, but they were paying for 24 servings!

simplysouthern Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 2:06am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezTreatz

Hrmmm! lol

icon_eek.gif Dang!! You guys serve cakes the size of bricks!!! 12 pieces from a 9x13 means those pieces are cut in 3 rows by 4 columns = 3"x3" pieces! Industry standard is 2x2x2" = 4 rows by 6 columns = 24 servings. My clients were always welcome to cut the thing in half and eat it with 2 forks, but they were paying for 24 servings!

I am at 24 slices at 2x2 or 20 slices at 2 3/4 x 2 1/4 icon_smile.gif

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:27am
post #9 of 10

I love cake! lol icon_razz.gif

simplysouthern Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:13am
post #10 of 10

LOL I'd give my right pinky toe for some fresh cake right now!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%