Cricut On Sale This Weekend! $79.99

Decorating By dream Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 6:45am by cake_architect

dream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
16 replies
oakleygirl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oakleygirl77 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 17

Wow, thanks for posting this. I almost bought one online yesterday (it's still sitting in my cart!!) You just saved me some serious $$$$.
THANK YOU!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 17

Doesn't anyone wonder why such a "desirable" product is discounted so heavily?

TejasRebel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TejasRebel Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Okay. I'll bite. Why is it discounted so heavily?

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 17

this is the one I have had for the last 2 years and I LOVE it. It works for me. There are times when I would like to have the big one but my Scrapbooking friends have the one and I can use theirs. I have the cutting mat and the blade to use it for cakes. Works great.

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 17

Part of the price discount could be that when you buy the machine you can't stop there and 'have' to get all the accessories and cartridges, etc.

creativecakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativecakemom Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 17

Can you use a Cricut Expressions model for cake decorating?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 17

They are coming out with a Cricut 2 model so they are trying to get rid of the Cricut 1's.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 17

I don't know that I would want a cake cricut but I have this one and it is amazing. Cupcake wrappers alone have paid for it. I love to make fun things but this is not something to use on cakes

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:

- Raises her hand -

I know, I know.

Because they're hard to use and too expensive in the first place. People buy them think they're going to be a breeze, can't figure out how to use them well and then return them or sell them on e-bay.

I think the only thing I'd use one for is to cut out numbers and letters because they're a pain in the butt to do with an exacto knife, but I'm not paying even $80 for that. I'll pick one up at a yard sale when I see it.

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

I don't know that I would want a cake but I have this one and it is amazing. Cupcake wrappers alone have paid for it. I love to make fun things but this is not something to use on cakes

how do you do cupcake wrappers with it?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:52pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasRebel

Quote:

The reason it is discounted so heavily is because of the huge number of returns. This product was marketed to the "normal person" so they could make fabulous cakes with no effort. However, because of the huge learning curve involved with making the machine work, people give up and return the item. Also, the accessories and "must have" cricut tools are horrendously overpriced.

I have one, it was a gift from my boyfriend, I have had it out of the box twice. It is frustrating. Extremely frustrating. I ended up using my tappits.

I know Leah_s considers hers to be a shiny red paper weight. I haven't got the time and patience at the minute to figure mine out.

It's personal experience though, others rave about them....

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:54pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasRebel

Quote:

The reason it is discounted so heavily is because of the huge number of returns. This product was marketed to the "normal person" so they could make fabulous cakes with no effort. However, because of the huge learning curve involved with making the machine work, people give up and return the item. Also, the accessories and "must have" tools are horrendously overpriced.

I have one, it was a gift from my boyfriend, I have had it out of the box twice. It is frustrating. Extremely frustrating. I ended up using my tappits.

I know Leah_s considers hers to be a shiny red paper weight. I haven't got the time and patience at the minute to figure mine out.

It's personal experience though, others rave about them....

Actually, I must disagree because the sale is on a Cricut personal machine, NOT the Cricut Cake.

I did buy the Cricut Cake Mini last Dec. and I've used it once (haven't had an opportunity to use it again). It took a few tries to get used to it, but I managed to get it working and able to use on a cake later that day. It actually saved me a lot of time. icon_smile.gif

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:11am
post #14 of 17

I bought one from a lady minus the cartridge and it came with the beautiful on wheels storage cart. Have never even taken it out of the storage case. I guess I just need to sell it. I can cut things out faster than I can try to figure out how it works. I've learned to think twice before investing in specialty items!

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:45am
post #15 of 17

I am thinking about giving my cricut cake up too. To much time to make it work.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:05am
post #16 of 17

Shoot, I can't even figure out how to fill the water pen. I'm glad I got it at 90% off because for 2 months it's been a doodad in a box.

Can you imagine how long it would take me to figure out the machine if neither I nor my mechanical minded husband can figure out a simple water pen?

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:45am
post #17 of 17

i wish i would have got my cricut at 90% off! sell me yours, at the rate i'm going i'd be just fine having two icon_biggrin.gif i love love love my cricut, got over the "learning curve" a very long time ago and now i use it for everything! i had to cut out fondant letters by hand (exacto) this weekend since i was away from home and the entire time i was wishing i had toted my cricut with me =/ ya'll really should give it a chance, its an awesome product and when coupled with sure cuts a lot 2 (or make the cut, whichever you prefer) it can cut out anything you can imagine! i hate reading such negative things about this machine when i know its full potential... please just give it a few more hours of play; i promise the "learning curve" will seem silly by the next day when you're cutting out damask prints and fancy fonts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%