Gelatin Bubble

Decorating By cakemeech201 Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 7:33pm by QuiteContrary

cakemeech201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemeech201 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:21am
post #1 of 13

do your gelatin bubbles have air bubbles on them after the first dip?? mine are bubbly and unevenly coated, will this affect the finished product?? will it get better with more layers??? help please icon_sad.gif

12 replies
soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:20am
post #2 of 13

cakemeech201...here is the tutorial
http://www.sugarartbytami.com/index.html
Hope it helps
CIAO

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 13

Although it does depend on the bloom qualtiy of your gelatin. You should have even coats and very minimal bubbles if any. Don't over cook your gelatin (get it to boil) and don't stir it up. You should skim any foam or bubbles off the top before you dip.

For the uneven layers, it could be that the mixture is too cold so not coating the balloon before it firms up. Don't worry too much, when it dries, it shrinks and most blemishes and inconsistencies are greatly reduced.

cakemeech201 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:48am
post #4 of 13

thank you for the link soledad, that's the very first one i watched before trying the bubbles myself. the problem is mine don't look ANYTHING like the pictures lol.
sweetflowers, i'm using knox gelatin. i let the gelatin bloom in the water, warmed it in the microwave for like 10 seconds and dipped my balloons. it seemed like it didn't want to stick in some places and got all clumpy in others!! i kept reheating as needed icon_sad.gif oh it gave me a headache. i managed to get 3 possibly 4 'evenly' coated and am now waiting for them to dry. i'm wondering if the size balloon also matters? i need larger ones to mimic pearls that sit on princess crown points, i thought the gelatin bubbles would be perfect. i don't need them until wednesday so i'm hoping i can figure it out by then. i reeeaaaallly don't want to have to cut that idea out of my designicon_sad.gif i'm also worried about getting the balloon out. my screw ups were dry this morning so i decided to practice getting the balloons out of them. that did not go well!!! any tips on removing?? sorry this is so long, this is my first time working with gelatin other than jigglers icon_biggrin.gif

sweetflowers Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 13

Make sure you follow the tutorial on how to coat your balloon with shortening and wipe the excess off. If the gelatin isn't sticking you must have too much on. It's literally just a thin layer that you then wipe off. Also make sure to leave an area around the knot to balloon removal (and popping). Also make sure you have removed any gelatin clumps before you start dipping, you know, the gelatin that didn't quite dissolve.

I also use knox and heat like you have stated. As you get to the 2nd and 3rd layers, the gelatin must be warm to coat evenly, as it will firm up quickly when you dip. Make sure to dip and then immediately hold upright (knot side toward the counter). My balloons are about 1"-3" I vary the size, when you get bigger than that, the balloon gets heavy.

Use a fan on low to help them dry faster, I'm sure they will be fine, they look a lot better once they are dry!

cakemeech201 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you sooo much for taking the time to explain this to me, I really appreciate it!! I'm going to make a new batch later tonight following your instructions. I think I can, I think I can... icon_biggrin.gif

ryannrochelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ryannrochelle Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 13

Is the gelatin bubble supoosed to get hard? Or will it be a little bouncy forever? I made some last night but they were wobbly when I removed the balloons.

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 13

Can someone please post an up to date link for this technique. The old one does not seem to take you to the right place. Thanks icon_smile.gif

sweetflowers Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 13

Your timing is impecable! I had to upload a homework project last night for one day only and you hit just the right time. The tutorial will be back tonight after my teacher grades my page.

For the bubbles, you have to wait until they are completely dry before popping the balloon or they will shrink more and malform as they dry. They will dry hard if you have 3 layers of gelatin on them, a little flimsy if you only have 2.

MOGRISER Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOGRISER Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 13

I can't get to tutorial, I get a art website when I click on link
HELP

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 13

Mogriser, if you read sweetflowers previous post she has her homework assignment posted to her website so it can be graded. She said it has to be up for about a day. The tutorial should be back soon.

sweetflowers Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 13

I'm so sorry, you know no one has tried to get it for a week, and then all of a sudden, after I post my homework, bam!. I swear, by tonight it will be up again. I was able to figure out a direct link:
http://www.sugarartbytami.com/Gelatintutorial.pdf

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:33pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks for the link. The tutorial was wonderful. Nice clear pictures and easy to follow instructions. Thanks again for sharing. I will be buying some water balloons for sure. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%