Refrigerating Italian Buttercream ??

Decorating By sweetchefny Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 10:10pm by erin2345

sweetchefny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchefny Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 11

Hello - I learned an italian buttercream recipe in culinary school (using all butter and no shortening), which tastes great at room temperature, but once its refrigerated it hardens and tastes like sweet, cold butter. I'm planning on opening a bakery and need an icing for cakes and cupcakes that is as good refrigerated as it is at room temp AND that is stable enough for piping. I would so appreciate any advice/tips/recipes you have. Thank you. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 11

American buttercream will do that

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 11

Any all-butter buttercream is going to be very firm straight out of the fridge. ABC is better for this than SMBC or IMBC, but it's still made of butter. You can go with whipped cream or a shortening-based BC for good mouth-feel when cold.

sweetchefny Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Any all-butter buttercream is going to be very firm straight out of the fridge. ABC is better for this than SMBC or IMBC, but it's still made of butter. You can go with whipped cream or a shortening-based BC for good mouth-feel when cold.

Thanks for your response KoryAK. I've never used shortening in buttercream - might you have a tested recipe you could share with me?

KoryAK Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 5:29am
post #5 of 11

Sorry, I don't have an amazing one - I'm all-butter SMBC myself icon_smile.gif

sweetchefny Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:

Sorry, I don't have an amazing one - I'm all-butter SMBC myself icon_smile.gif

How does your SMBC react to refrigeration (do you use shortening or all butter in it?)? Its not as stable as IMBC - do you find it to be a problem with decorating?

KoryAK Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 11

I have never has stability or decorating issues with it, I use all butter. I don't use IMBC because SMBC is SO much easier to make, especially when we need to do 4 batches in a row. It's very firm when cold but that makes it GREAT for fondant-ing and later transportation. We tell all of our customers to leave the cake out for 1-2 hours before serving for best taste.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:49am
post #8 of 11
Quote:

I have never has stability or decorating issues with it, I use all butter. I don't use IMBC because SMBC is SO much easier to make, especially when we need to do 4 batches in a row. It's very firm when cold but that makes it GREAT for fondant-ing and later transportation. We tell all of our customers to leave the cake out for 1-2 hours before serving for best taste.

Maybe I should fly out to have you teach me to make smbc cause I tried it 3 times and I had scrambled egg bits in mine icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

KoryAK Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:05am
post #9 of 11

Keep it moving and don't heat it more than 130 and you should be fine icon_smile.gif

sweetchefny Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:

I'm going to give it a try. Thank you icon_smile.gif

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Quote:

Maybe I should fly out to have you teach me to make smbc cause I tried it 3 times and I had scrambled egg bits in mine icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

that happens to me sometimes when I use a smaller mixer .. you can strain the egg/sugar mixture to get the egg bits out, put it back in the mixer to whip/cool and then add your butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%