First Wedding Cake Question!!! Help!

Decorating By Sweetbeth Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 9:47pm by tryingcake

Sweetbeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetbeth Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everybody,
My customer wants to know if I can deliver the wedding cake the day before and have it sit out overnight. There isn't any cream on it, just raspberry filling covered in buttercream. I think it would be ok but want your alls input! Thanks!
Beth

12 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 13

That's a really bad idea...It just gives it way too long to sit out and have it knocked over/fingers stuck into it/have something smash it. And guess who she'd be calling to complain about it.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 13

If you do, be sure to get plenty of pics in the setting so you have proof that it was delivered in perfect condition. If they are fresh raspberries I think it should be refrigerated or at least in a very cool room.

lacey88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacey88 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 13

it should be fine to sit out overnight. make sure its away from any direct heat or sunlight. if there is a refrigerater on-site that would be even better. like the other comments, i would recommend taking pictures as well. dont stress. you'll do great!

Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 13

I would take lots of pics and her sign a waiver!

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:56am
post #6 of 13

Sitting out over night will not hurt the cake - but like others said get a waiver signed and know that you charge extra for emergency repairs.

Been there - done that: a five-year old can reek havoc on an unattended cake. I got it fixed, but it was NOT the cake they ordered or the cake I delivered. It was a pretty cake - but not what they ordered. Get a signature!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:16am
post #7 of 13

The sitting out isn't a problem. It's the risk of something happening to the cake. i wouldn't do it.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:38am
post #8 of 13

I did this once... to help out a bride in need. Her baker cancelled on her a month before the wedding due to an ill family member. She called and asked me to please help her out. I already had plans to be out of town for the weekend, leaving at 3 pm on Friday. In order to help her, I delivered the cake on my way out of town. I took loads of pics and made sure she and the family knew that I was in no way responsible for the cake after I left. They made sure there were no kids anywhere around as they were setting up/decorating for the reception too. (Around here the families do their own decorating for most events.)

It worked out fine!

Sweetbeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetbeth Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:13am
post #9 of 13

Thank you all for your replies, I don't think I am going to do it. I would rather show up super early morning than take the chance delivering the night before!

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 13

Is this a cooked fruit filling or fresh? From a previous post, I read cooked fruit fillings have to be refrigerated, fresh does not. This is always a big question for me, I prefer to leave cakes at room temp. What does everyone else do?

countrygirll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygirll Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 13

I prefer to leave my cakes at room temperature unless of course there is something perishable in it.

I agree with the rest of the posts--take LOTS of pictures if you plan on leaving it overnight.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by splymale

Is this a cooked fruit filling or fresh? From a previous post, I read cooked fruit fillings have to be refrigerated, fresh does not. This is always a big question for me, I prefer to leave cakes at room temp. What does everyone else do?

I use sleeved fillings.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 9:47pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by splymale

With few exceptions that override the rule - the fridge is a cake's #1 nemesis.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%