Stiletto Out Of Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 5:28am by tobycat

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question...I need to make a stiletto shoe for a cake for this Saturday. I'm worried that gumpaste won't dry in time. Has anyone done a stiletto out of only modelling chocolate? I've searched here and online and it seems like everyone uses gumpaste or modeling chocolate covered in gumpaste for the heel. Just wondering if it can be done and if modeling chocolate holds up for this type of thing? (I've done one in gumpaste and have only used modelling chocolate for small figures) TIA!

3 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 4

I made a 2-1/2" heel from chocolate clay a couple of years ago. It was a sandal-style heel that I made as an experiment. I kept that shoe in a shoe box in a cabinet for almost two years before tossing - it held up fine. But, it was not a really tall stiletto - I would probably put a dowel in the center of the heel to give added strength.

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the reply. I tried it with the modeling chocolate and added a dowel in the heel for support. We will see how it hardens. Thanks!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 5:28am
post #4 of 4

There is an excellent shoe tutorial on youtube about doing just this. She used modeling chocolate as the base for the heel. She said you you should let it set as long as possible, like a week, BUT that because the chocolate sets faster, you could even use it the next day. Long story short - Use the modeling chocolate. It will work fine by Saturday. I've used it before too, and it does set pretty darn quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%