Rkt Or Carve Cake? Suggestions Appreciated!

Decorating By bbsmom Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 5:44pm by bbsmom

bbsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbsmom Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 4

I am attempting to bake a bday/Superbowl cake for son's party. I am trying for a football stadium look-with the sides built up for the stands. I was thinking of using an 11x15 as the base but wasn't sure whether to build up the sides with layers of cake or RKT and carve them to make the sloping sides of the stands. I'm leaning towards the cake as I think it would be easier to cover & decorate without trying to blend the two different surfaces. If I use RKT's on top of the cake-would I also need to "build" them on a cardoard seperating plate? I'm not planning on making this overly high-maybe 2 layers above the 11x15 for the stands-do I need to even add the cardboard support(cake or RKT)? As always, the knowledge of the CC'ers is so appreciated icon_biggrin.gif !

3 replies
obsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obsessed Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 4

cake gets my vote. i've done a stadium cake (only 9 x 13 though) and it worked really well for me...was easy to work with. i didn't bother with any additional support but i didnt have much weight on top (mine was a race track so just a couple of little cars on top) and it was for a birthday party at our house so i wasn't overly concerned about having a cake disaster. it held up just fine. HTH

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 4

as far as texture of the RKT and cake the stands should be filled with people ( multi color non peril seem to be great for this) so that should cover the inside of the RKT i would say that i would put a lil seperator in between non just for support but to cut it up easier. good luck

bbsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbsmom Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 4

Many thanks for the thoughts! Hopefully it will look something like its supposed too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%