Vanilla Bean Paste

Baking By yummy Updated 2 Feb 2011 , 10:59pm by revel

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 8:18am
post #1 of 22

Does anyone use this in their sugar cookie recipe; how do you use it (amount); do you still add extract (vanilla)? Thanks!

21 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:05am
post #2 of 22

Yes, I use it all the time - measures the same as regular extract, but tastes like heaven. If I am making something that I want to actually taste like real vanilla, I use VBP. Would be super yum in sugar cookies. And no, you'd use one or the other, but not both. Extract is more of a flavor enhancer, not really a flavoring to me. Which is why I <3 VBP.

Jen

yummy Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:07am
post #3 of 22

Thank you so much!

ETA: So if a cookie recipe calls for 3 tsp. of flavoring use the same amount vbp (I understood what you said above, just trying to figure out if the vbp is more potent than the extract where it would be overpowering when using the same amount)?

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:08am
post #4 of 22

Vanilla paste is just a concentrate...it's stronger than vanilla extract...it wont change the consistency of the products as much as vanilla extract. I think you can put in 1/2 of what you normally put for extract. I might be wrong but what can extra vanilla do to a recipe? maybe make it more yummy? lol

FromScratchSF Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:26am
post #5 of 22

I put in the exact same amount. But let me clarify - I only use VBP if I want something to actually taste like real vanilla. It's too expensive to just substitute in every recipe. It's concentrated but the good stuff also has no alcohol in it (which I prefer). So if you want a vanilla sugar cookie, then use the full amount. I actually tend to double it in stuff because it's so tasty.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 22

I double up too... I just start pouring. It doesn't cook out like extract. The taste difference in my recipes was so much of an improvement, and they were already good. But do make sure you adjust your pricing.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 22

My jar says it the same, spoon for spoon, so I put the same amount in.

As far as no alcohol, that may depend on the brand. My husband is on a medication for a couple of weeks and he can have zero alcohol- and they mean zero. I was at Sur la Table last night so I checked out the VBP that I had purchased there. The ingredient list says it has vanilla extract in it. I picked up the same brand of vanilla extract and yup! there's alcohol in it.

FromScratchSF Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

My jar says it the same, spoon for spoon, so I put the same amount in.

As far as no alcohol, that may depend on the brand. My husband is on a medication for a couple of weeks and he can have zero alcohol- and they mean zero. I was at Sur la Table last night so I checked out the VBP that I had purchased there. The ingredient list says it has vanilla extract in it. I picked up the same brand of vanilla extract and yup! there's alcohol in it.

What brand did you get? I only use Nielsen-Massey and there's no alcohol.

yummy Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 22

Thank you all. So, how much do you pay for it; who has it the cheapest?

FromScratchSF Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 22

I get mine wholesale, but Amazon has it at a decent price, I think it's $10 or so for 4 oz.

cheatize Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:21am
post #11 of 22

Here's what my jar says:

Nielsen-Massey Vanilla, Inc.
Madagascar Bourbon
Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
4 fl. oz.

Ingredients: Sugar, Water, Vanilla Extract, Vanilla Beans, Gum Traganth (a natural thickener).

I was suspicious about the vanilla extract, so when I was at Sur la Table last night, I checked the ingredient list on the Nielsen-Massey vanilla exract. Sure enough, there's alcohol in it. I assume the vanilla extract in the vanilla bean paste comes from the same company.

This is the only vanilla bean paste I've been able to find locally.

scp1127 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 4:45am
post #12 of 22

Silver Cloud from Global has extract in it also. It's the same price, but I think Neilson Massey has a smoother taste.

FromScratchSF Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:28am
post #13 of 22

So I just had a DUH! moment icon_biggrin.gif Yeah, you are right, it says vanilla extract, and what does VE have in it? Alcohol! That seriously never occurred to me. icon_redface.gif I can't taste it at all so I just assumed it didn't have any. I bought another paste once, got it home and it just tasted like a thick extract, it did have alcohol listed in the ingredients. Anyway, Neilson Massey is the best, you can't go wrong with it.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:54am
post #14 of 22

I just bought the 32oz bottle of Neilsen-Massey VPB for $46. I have the same size bottle of VE as well. I know it's expensive, but it's such a good deal when the 4oz bottle of VBP is $12.

scp1127 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:58am
post #15 of 22

pmarks0, where did you get it? I buy it by the 6 bottle case, but it's still $10.00 a bottle.

cheatize Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 6:55am
post #16 of 22

Yes, this past week has been interesting avoiding all alcohol. We don't drink very often so we didn't think it would a problem. Anything that has an extract in it is off-limits for now unless he wants to get "violently ill."

Back to the topic: I'm not finding much difference in flavor using the vanilla bean paste than when I use extract. I thought there'd be a big difference, but I can't detect any. I may have to soak my own beans to see if that makes a big enough difference to justify the higher price.

scp1127 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 7:10am
post #17 of 22

cheatize, I use more than is called for and you can really taste the difference where more vanilla extract can start tasting bad. Sometimes I think it makes things taste sweeter, so I cut the sugar by about a tablespoon in the recipes to counter it.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 5:58pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

pmarks0, where did you get it? I buy it by the 6 bottle case, but it's still $10.00 a bottle.

I buy at Flour Confections which happens to be a local cake supply store in Canada. They are on the web as well so you should be able to order online.

http://www.flourconfections.ca/

scp1127 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 6:31pm
post #19 of 22

Thanks, pmarks0

cheatize Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 11:57pm
post #20 of 22

Whether it's imitation vanilla extract, real vanilla extract, or vanilla bean paste, I have a tendency to add more, too. icon_smile.gif

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:35am
post #21 of 22

You can make your own alcohol free VBP

http://www.ehow.com/how_5472053_make-vanilla-paste.html

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 10:59pm
post #22 of 22

I buy mine fom www.vanillafoodcompany.ca in Canada They have exellent customer service and a flat rate for shipping! They also ship to the US

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%