Topsy Turvy Cake

Decorating By kmichaels Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 1:44am by ConfectionsCC

kmichaels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmichaels Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 4

How do i make a topsy turvy cake? I need help!! I'm making a cake for my friends and boyfriends surprise birthday party and there will be alot of people there I have to feed! I decided on colors and design but i really want it to be topsy turvy, how do i cut it to get that to work?

3 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 4

The best how to video. This is how I learned!

allwhippedup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allwhippedup Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 4

what type of cake is best to use when making a topsy turvy? does it need to be a pound cake or would a box cake work?

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:44am
post #4 of 4

at first, I would have said pound cake only, but after carving several different cakes now...I would say, just simply freeze your cakes before carving till nearly frozen, and have the proper amount of support. (every 4 in of cake no matter what needs support, even if it only has 1 in above it...) If you have the time, bake a layer for practice. You deserve it to yourself and to the people you are serving it to to practice. I wish I had done this before serving my first topsy turvy cake because it DID fall apart because of improper support system. I not only did not have a thick enough board underneath, but mine was much to tall to stand alone without more support. Pound cake can give you the "wiggle room" you may need with carving a cake like this, but beware, cake can only handle so much weight on its own!!! I now can carve any type of cake, but for a beginner, until you learn the way to properly support a cake of this size and structure, use pound cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%