Cursed Cakes Cakes ......

Decorating By SkBriBri Updated 29 Jan 2011 , 4:39pm by JulieMN

SkBriBri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkBriBri Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:08am
post #1 of 8

Soooo ... Why Is it that some cakes just seem to be cursed from the begining? Wether it is ur pans start to leak on u... set off the fire alarm. Then your Fonant smother breaks .. @@#$ Then the idea u have in ur head just isn't working right ... but it should cuz it looks good in your head! The cake almost does not Flow properly , There is no reason why the colors shouldn't look good.. but they don't. It drives me crazy... When this happens to you.. do u just kinda go with it and work with what u have.. or do u rip off the fondant re set and start over with a diff color base.

7 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:25am
post #2 of 8

Oh, yeah...I've done both, gone with it and started over. Funny, though, no matter what, the finished product is never as bad as I think it's going to be. I've been trying to remind myself to reserve judgement until I'm finished with it.

Oh, and it can't be that bad, because your cakes are really cute! Good luck!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:08am
post #3 of 8

I keep telling myself, "Calm down and work methodically. Check, recheck, double check, triple check everything you." Sometimes it eventually works.

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:08am
post #4 of 8

i some times sketch my cakes first.. i mean i can not draw AT ALL but that way i can kinda see how it's gonna look, it also help when im gathering ingredients. color all the fondant first so you can see what all the colors look like together.

SkBriBri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkBriBri Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 8

Yeah I usually always Draw my cakes out first ... but my colors are always colors that should go together. It's funny how u can have 3 colors . and if u put the wrong one on the base, it tottaly wrecks the flow of your cake. It didn't turn out to bad. U can check in out in my pics if u like; it's the Brown one with Pink Roses. Although I was soo frustrated. By the time I decided to rip the white fondant off the top it started going ok ... then the fondant pattel broke ! I was kinda freaking out a bit

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 8

I can't remember were I saw it but, they used a piece of extra fondant cupped in there hand to smooth out the fondant on the cake, very interesting.. A teacher told me once to buy an art book that explaines color,complimenting and shading, will help. Many times keeping the different colors to be used to a minimum and more different shades of the same color - create a beautiful cake. Good luck

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 8

@ cakesnglass

the extra fondant was on Absolute Cake Off. Although I use a smoother I have tried it and it works quite well.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Oh, yeah...I've done both, gone with it and started over. Funny, though, no matter what, the finished product is never as bad as I think it's going to be. I've been trying to remind myself to reserve judgement until I'm finished with it.

Ditto. I hobby bake only for family events and I often have a vision in my head of what it "should" look like. Because the vision is solely in MY head if I have to change things up to somehow achieve a successful cake....the recipients have been none the wiser....and have always loved the outcome.
But it is a hard, hard time getting to that finish line when things are going wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%