How Do You Make The Top On This Cake??

Decorating By GeorgiaC Updated 29 Jan 2011 , 10:53pm by GeorgiaC

GeorgiaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaC Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbANtklXC2I&feature=feedlik

This lady shows her decorating for this cake except for how she did the top. It looks to me like a shell shape. Would you start in the middle and work out in a circle fashion? What tip is that?

6 replies
GamerGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GamerGirl Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 7

To me it looks like a basketweave with a 16 or 18 star tip. I would imprint the top with the circle size you want and then start the basket weave design left to right or the other way depending on if you are right or left handed. Then you would pipe your border.

Kitty5Kat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitty5Kat Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with Gamergirl. It looks like a basketweave done with the star tip. And if I were doing it I would take a cake board 6" probably or whatever size you want and gently imprint on the top of the cake. Do the basketweave first and then the boarder. Good Luck!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGirl

To me it looks like a basketweave with a 16 or 18 star tip. I would imprint the top with the circle size you want and then start the basket weave design left to right or the other way depending on if you are right or left handed. Then you would pipe your border.

That's exactly what it looks like to me too. Very pretty design.

GeorgiaC Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 7

I thought it was the basketweave, too, but if you stop it at about 0.27 in time - before she has put the outside border around it, it looks like she just made that shell motion all around. Sort of like filling in with stars, but she used the shell instead.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 7

I thought it was just shells too until I stopped it at 36. There, you can see the criss-cross pattern, particularly on the left side.

GeorgiaC Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 7

This is going to be the next cake I make (I'm just a hobby baker). I think I'll have to practice that top before I actually put it on the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%