Cupcake Tower-Need Advice

Baking By KakesbyKris Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 8:37pm by KakesbyKris

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 3

I have been working with a bride(this will be my first wedding) on designs and the latest idea, and what she is leaning toward, is a cupcake tower with a small 6" cake for cutting ceremony. I have done cupcakes, just never on such a large scale, 150 approx. I have a few questions.

The wedding is on a Friday evening. How early would you bake. I have read about freezing, but not refridgerating vs putting in an airtight container. Is it the same kind of time line as cake baking. This will be the only project for the week. Bake and fill Thurs. then frost and deliver Friday? I would think they would dry out doing it any earlier.

How do you handle the tower part. It is not a piece of equipment I have. Did you build/buy one and rent it to the bride? Put the price in the order and they keep the stand? Is there a disposable option? I've looked at the various stands on here and that you can build. If I were to invest in one, I think I would want one that can be interchangeable with the number of tiers it can be for versatility. Any suggestions on one like that would be great and how much do you charge for renting and is it just a deposit they get back when it is returned in good shape?

My usual wedding cakes give the top tier complimentary for the bride and groom's 1st anniversary or they can chose to cut it and include it in the price and on their first anniversary I bake them a new one complimentary. Since they will be cutting into the top tier should I charge for it and do the anniversary cake. Maybe I should just let the bride decide.

I feel like a newb! I had everything figured out on my cakes, now I have to figure out for cupcake towers.

Thanks for any and all help you can give.

2 replies
pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 3

I have had great results by baking the evening before the wedding and icing the next day. I do keep the cupcakes in a closed container after cooling for overnight storage. The cutting cake can be completed the day before. I purchased my own stand but so far have only used them for weddings that I was attending and could handle the set-up and pick-up of my stand. Get as much information about the venue and theme/decor of the reception to plan your display. There are many stands out there- once you have an idea of the kind of display the bride would like- especially how formal or informal- you can better decide how to proceed. HTH

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for your response. I have been looking at stands. There is quite a difference in prices. After I posted my questions I received another request for a Wedding cupcake tower. So I think I will invest in one that's durable and rent it out. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%