Help! My Cake Looks Like Crap! What Can I Do?????

Decorating By Baking_Booth Updated 23 Jan 2011 , 7:22pm by leah_s

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 10

My cake looks terrible! Any ideas on how I can make it look better? I tried smoothing it with wax paper but it still looks all lumpy. Any ideas on how I can decorate it to take away from the lumpy frosting?

9 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 10

Can you post a pic of the cake so that we have a better idea about your problem?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 10

Is it airbrushed?

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 10

Are the lumps in your icing? or big cake crumbs? How much time do you have to fix it?

You could unstack it, put each tier in the refrigerator for a little while, make some new smooth icing and add another layer of a crusting icing. After you have applied the new layer of icing, let it crust up and smooth it out using parchment paper, Viva paper towels or a foam roller (Melvira method).

Hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 10

Looks pretty rough. Can you cover it with fondant or wide ribbon to at least cover the cake that shows through the top tier?

Baking_Booth Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 10

I have a couple of hours to fix it. It's not airbrushed, and I sifted the sugar when I made the frosting. I think I mixed it too much and it made air bubbles and then I tried to fix it by smoothing it and it made it worse. There aren't any kind of crumbs or chunks in it. I don't know why it came out this way. icon_sad.gif

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 10

It looks like your frosting was too thin. I would chill the cake and make a new batch of thicker butter cream. Use the hot spatula method to smooth it. Good luck.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 10

I would disassemble the tiers and toss it right in the fridge to firm up what you have for an hour or two. Then I'd whip up a fresh batch of buttercream and put a fresh coat over what's already on there, as ptayner suggests.

Another way to go would be, depending on how you will decorate this, would be to do what I call, "embrace the ugly" and make it work for you. In other words, go rustic. Add some more buttercream to get a thicker coat and work it with a spatula to get a rough, rustic look all over. If the decorations you add are of a professional quality, they'll assume that the frosting finish is also of a professional quality, and what you intended it to be.

Of course, this also depends if this was for a client you had specific design agreement with.

(and the reason I asked about airbrushing is it looks a little shimmery in the pic. That may just be the lighting. But if it's not some kind of added shimmer, my guess would be that your buttercream looks a little wet. maybe too thin or too warm?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 10

I agree that bc is just way to thin. Chill it to firm up as everyone else suggested,make new thicker bc and have another go at it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%