Not A Fan Of "the Mat"!

Decorating By handymama Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 4:41pm by sillywabbitz

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:23am
post #1 of 35

Read the threads, watched the video, waited for them to come out with one with measurements on it. Finally gave up and ordered it in time for this week's wedding. Conditioned it as instructed and even marked "out" on one side of each so I'd always have the same side in--touching fondant--in case any scratching occurred. On the plus side: it is definitely possible to roll a nice thin layer of fondant that isn't exposed to air, PS or CS. On the negative: if you do roll the fondant thin (1/8") it sticks to the mat so horribly that it stretches and tears when trying to remove it. The "falling away from the mat" as shown in the video only happens if the fondant is thick enough that its weight will pull it down off the mat. Another downside is that the vinyl likes to buckle and fold as you're trying to get the fondant to release. There is already a small hole in one of the mats as a result of this creasing, and I've only used it for one 4-tier cake. (Mind you, it took two hours to cover one 10" cake because of all of the problems, so ultimately I probably "covered" twice that.) The price is great if this would work and be somewhat durable, but is awful if I have to replace it once a week.

34 replies
crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:37am
post #2 of 35

Ordered mine Jan. 12, still have not received it. I called them and I guess they misplaced my order. So I wait again.....Maybe it would be better if I did not receive it! Sounds like that.

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:05am
post #3 of 35

I have had mine for about a month and so far I love it. I do know what you mean about when the fondant is rolled thin..but other than that it works fine and since my hubby rolls out my fondant he can do that and let it sit till I'm ready to put it on the cake. sorry to hear about your problems.

handymama Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 35

It's very important to me to be able to roll it thin because of the mouthfeel. People even like fondant if it's thin! If anyone knows how to get past this obstacle I'd love to hear from you. And yes--being able to roll it ahead of time and let it set is great.

alleykat1 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 35

I'm all ears too I prefer to roll mine really thin.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 35

I don't have one but I've been researching the heck out of it - question, did you "season" it with shortening? I've read that this is a commonly missed step when you 1st get it that leads to problems.

Jen

alleykat1 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 35

I did season mine

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 35

Thanks for sharing your experience!

handymama Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 12:49am
post #9 of 35

Yes, I did season it but quite thoroughly wiped off the residue (even used a cotton cloth in stead of paper towel so as not to scratch it). Because I wiped it off so thoroughly I seasoned it again after several times of the fondant sticking so bad. That seemed to help slightly, but not nearly enough. I don't see a way around this since the rolling requires a lot of force, and that in turn makes it really adhere. I even peeled off one side of the mat, layed it back on, flipped it, then peeled the other side, but only the first one came off well.

crumbcake Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:22am
post #10 of 35

Could it have been the problem with Satin Ice Buttercream fondant, and not the mat?

handymama Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:39am
post #11 of 35

Nope. Tried it with Pettinice and Chocopan. And room temp. was 68 degrees with low humidity, so that wasn't it.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 35

I don't have one, as I just use the cheap vinyl mat, which I love by the way.
Lately I have been having trouble, and wonder if the 'MAT" would eliminate the problem...

My problem is, when I roll the fondant on the mat, it seems gloriously thin, and perfect, and I flip the mat over, onto the cake, but the underside of the fondant (now the top) has had seams and imperfections and such....

Does this happen with the MAT? What causes this, do you think?

dellababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellababe Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:26pm
post #13 of 35

I love my Mat!!!!

handymama Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:38pm
post #14 of 35

snowbuns-- I think you could eliminate this by flipping the mats over part way through the rolling process. You could also make sure that after you initially knead the fondant that the smooth, rounded side is down.

dellababe--what thickness are you rolling to?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 35

I have a question and I don't mean to hijack this thread icon_redface.gif , I am currently using vinyl from the fabric store and I am planning on ordering the mat, but I was curious, does the mat stain from red fondant? My vinyl has a nice pink tinge stain from red fondant, will The Mat do this?

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:11pm
post #16 of 35

I'm wondering if you wiped too much of the shortening off for the first time seasoning. I had great success with my Mat on the first attempt this past week. I would say I rolled it a little more than 1/8 inch thick. I peeled back the top piece in a rolling motion as they suggested and, after freeing the front edge a little bit with my fingers, the rest just rolled off smoothly as in the video. I followed their suggestion to use the rolling pin motion from the center out, and I suspect the outer edges were a little thicker than the rest of it as a result -- maybe you put too much pressure on the outer edges and made them too thin to peel away. I don't understand how you got holes in the Mat -- I thought it was pretty heavy-duty stuff. I think you do have to try to fold it back away from you in a a steady, even motion. How did yours get folds and ripples in it?

handymama Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 7:10pm
post #17 of 35

Although I tried to fold it back in a level, steady motion, it tended to fall and buckle sometimes. Seems like it was more prone to do it on the smaller cakes. It was one of those times when it folded itself into a point that it broke and now has a tiny hole. It actually worked best on the 16" round. At one point I tried dusting with PS which actually worked quite well, but I want to avoid that if I can.

hoosierhobbyist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoosierhobbyist Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 7:39pm
post #18 of 35

What's "the Mat?"

Always love new toys!! Is it different that Silpat or Ateco fondant mats?

handymama Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 9:15pm
post #19 of 35

Yes, it's clear vinyl.

crumbcake Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:38am
post #20 of 35

hoosierhobbiest, to find more info on the mat, check their site: www.Sweetwise.com

dellababe Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:50pm
post #21 of 35

I've never measured the thickness but when I hold it up to the light I can see the light through it!!!

handymama Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:22pm
post #22 of 35

Wow dellababe--that's fantastic! What's your secret to getting it to release smoothly?

luddroth Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 7:03pm
post #23 of 35

Yeah, handymama, I don't think they advise using powdered sugar with the Mat at all -- and that is likely to make it sticky I would think.

handymama Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 7:22pm
post #24 of 35

No, they don't, but I was on a timeline with a wedding cake and needed to do something. It did help some the one time I used it, but I didn't want to keep doing it since part of the purpose of the mat is to NOT have to use PS or CS.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:04am
post #25 of 35

I watched the video on it and I was less than impressed. What is the difference between the Mat and a piece of vinyl from Walmart, besides the price plus shipping?

luddroth Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 12:08pm
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

I watched the video on it and I was less than impressed. What is the difference between the Mat and a piece of vinyl from Walmart, besides the price plus shipping?

See multiple forum discussions about the toxicity of the vinyl from Walmart, which is NOT meant for food uses -- coated with a substance that is a known carcinogen, according to a chemical engineer who posted on a forum here.

crumbcake Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:58pm
post #27 of 35

Just recd. my mat today, planning on using today also, should I Crisco both sides (the insides of the mat touching the fondant)?

handymama Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:10pm
post #28 of 35

I seasoned both sides even though I marked "out" on one side of each.

dellababe Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:14pm
post #29 of 35

I have no secret on getting it to release from the mat. I do it exactly like she does on the video. I do make my own fondant if that makes a difference!!! icon_biggrin.gif

crumbcake Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:30pm
post #30 of 35

Good idea to mark the "out" side!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%