Making/covering A Ball

Decorating By Balusekc Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 12:47pm by labrat

Balusekc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Balusekc Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:02am
post #1 of 4

I am making a baseball mitt cake with a baseball in the mitt. I have the baseball pan from Wilton, but I'm wanting an actual round ball, so I have the mini ball pan as well. Should I make the ball out of cake or rice krispy treats, and how do I cover a sphere with fondant? Please give me some advice...TIA!

3 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:03am
post #2 of 4

I have a giant baby rattle cake in my pictures -
The large ball is made from the wilton ball pan - covered in fondant the same way I would any other cake.
The small ball is rice krispie treats - iced with buttercream and then covered in fondant.

When covering the ball in fondant - just keep lifting and smoothing - lifting and smoothing!
You will have a small part of the bottom portion of the ball that will not be covered in fondant..

Good luck!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:29am
post #3 of 4

I made mine out of RKT. The little trick I did was to use one of those small plastic ornaments that come with bath confetti in them at Christmas time. The ornament comes apart, so I just took the confetti out, washed and you have a perfect sphere. I pushed my RKT into each side until it was really compact and then moved it around alot to smooth out the sides. Then put the two pieces together, instant ball. I then covered it in fondant, using another ornament that was slightly larger to smooth it once again. You will have to be careful when smoothing the fondant and continually lift and smooth. You will have a blob of fondant on the bottom after it is all smoothed. Just cut it off and smooth the best you can, that will be the side facing down. Let the ball harden in the ornament to prevent warping.

Oh yeah, some people cover their RKT in melting chocolate before covering in fondant to help smooth the bumpy surface.

Here is a picture of my cake. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1682774

labrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labrat Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 4

If you make your baseball from RK treats, you could cover it with chocolate modelling paste - then you can handle the whole thing and make it smooth and round.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%