Is $400.00 To Much

Decorating By cakegirl31 Updated 29 Jan 2011 , 4:39am by cakegirl31

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:30am
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirl31

I forgot to add that I told the lady ( Before I knew it was a Topsy turvy cake). I said a 3 tier I would charge $250.00 FOR Butter cream and $300.00 for a 4 tier w/ Butter-cream. I told her if she wanted the cake done in Fondant then it would cost more. At the time of talking to her she really couldn't tell me what she wanted other then the size. So is $400.00 about right?( for fondant) I have never did one of these types of cake, so I am thinking I don't really want to charge to much. But then again I need to find out how much everything is going to cost. I have never really did fondant other then with Rolled butter cream fondant and just playing around with MMF. The rolled butter cream didn't do very well so I don't want to use that. I am thinking of going with MMf allot of Ladies on here have stated they like it. I really don't know about spending a fortune on fondant. Sorry I didn't post this before, just got to think about it all. I have done alot of research on doing a Topsy Turvy cake, and plan to practice it before the big event. Thanks so much for your help I sooooo soooo appreciate it big time. icon_smile.gif

So, you haven't really worked with fondant, and haven't done a topsy turvy? This is a pretty large undertaking for someone who hasn't done those. TT's are hard to do, and I don't want to be negative, but this may be something you have to practice, over and over again...there is a reason these cakes are more expensive than your typical tiered cake....$400 is a steal for a topsy turvey, red and black fondant cake (I always swear I'll charge double for these colors!). Especially when the event isn't someones birthday - it's someone's wedding. I think you might find all of this out when practicing, that $400 may not be enough. They take a lot more time and precision. I am in a larger area, so our cakes would be pricier than yours, but if your local stores don't do these types of cake, and they would have to go to the city to get one anyway, they would be paying those high prices. Just don't promise someone to do a hard cake that will inevitably burn you out and leave you dissatisfied with what you make on it. Good luck!

cakegirl31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl31 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 4:39am
post #32 of 32

Bskinne, I so plan on practicing at least 3 times, it's not till July 23 2011....and its January 28th. I am also throwing my parents a 50th wedding anniversary, and I get to do the cake so I figured I would make them one like I have to make for the wedding. So Thats what the lady said " Wow what a deal....ya I know, but like you said I have never done this kind of cake, so didn't want to charge alot. But as soon as I get the hang of this kind of cake and the wedding cake turns out, you better believe my prices will go up. hanks so much for replying Grace icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%