Stupid Questions Re:renting A Kitchen For Business

Business By GIAcakes Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 1:36pm by GIAcakes

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:03am
post #1 of 4

Maybe someone here can help me with my questions. I'm in Mn so I don't know if these questions will apply to everyone but,

When you use a kitchen at a facility for your business are you individually licensed? Does the health/agriculture board come out and look at it and then license you?

Do they come occasionally to check it out? If it's already a kitchen that gets inspected do they still inspect it for your usage?

How do they know you are really baking and decorating out of that kitchen? Do they just take your word for it?

I hope I'm explaining this right icon_confused.gif

3 replies
southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:03am
post #2 of 4

Each State, county, city has different rules. Your best bet is to contact the health depart and find out what they require.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 9:32am
post #3 of 4

I'm in Mn and rent out of licensed facility. Hopefully I can answer your questions.

After I had located a place willing to rent kitchen space/time and had taken the Food Safety Class and passed the test, I met with the inspector at the facility I was going to be renting from. I had to provide the inspector with proof of class completetion and passing the test. He then gives you paperwork to fill out and submit with your fees.

Because this is an already licensed facility, you are covered under their licensing. However, you are not covered under their Food Management License. The facility is inspected according to the Dept Of Health requirements. The facility maintains records of your usage, which is available to the inspector. If the inspector wants he may require your records to make sure your "rent" payments and the facilities usage records agree along with your income/expense sheets.

Not sure if I would want to jepordize my licensing by not following the rules and get caught. Not worth it.

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you! That was very helpfulicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%