Lights On Cake

Lounge By graciesj Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 4:51am by graciesj

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:05am
post #1 of 10

I just offered to make a cake for one of my favourite buddies for his b-day FRIDAY and now I find myself in a mess. What would really set this cake off is lighting. Now I figured I could but florescent lights to go in the cake. I went on line and shipping alone is $53, not including the price of the lights, which by the way you have to buy in sm bulks of 12's. It can get here my thursday if I hurray.
My question to you lovely ladies, would any of you know where I can buy them locally? I know it's different in every state/country. I live in ontario/canada. Anyone????thank-you

9 replies
rainyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainyone Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:04am
post #2 of 10

I did a cake where I stuck lights in it. I used little battery lights that go for 8 hours ... got them at the party store- i used a pocket of fondant around it so it would act a plug that I could pull out with the light and keep the non food safe thing away from the cake somewhat.
What kind of lights are you looking for and what kind of cake....?

graciesj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:12am
post #3 of 10

Hi there, I'm actually looking for some LED tea light lights. I'm making a dj's music board. It would be sooooo cool if I can find these lights here locally. Their buttons on this board that light up, and would love to give this effect to it. thanks for answeringicon_smile.gif

rainyone Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 5:09am
post #4 of 10

I would try a party store... or any place like that has bridal supplies. Another option if you have patience is the dollarama and buy light up toys or ornaments ( xmas had tons of stuff ) and using something like an exacto knife or hot knife remove the excess stuff around the light packs and just use the bit you have around the battery pack...

good luck!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 10

Someone once told me to search for "seed lights" and that is one option of what to use.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 6:29am
post #7 of 10

Just read another post about LED lights in cakes and they said they bought theirs at Walmart. You could check some hobby/train stores too.

HTH!

graciesj Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 10

ahhhh that's what my husband said, to try some train stores too! thank-you ladiesicon_smile.gif

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 10

Just read more into this. There are little twist on LED lights you can buy that are added to floral bouquets and balloons. I think they are called "balloon LED light" or something like that. Apparently they are sold in the wedding/floral aisles of Michaels, Joann, or whatever craft store you have up there. I'll be looking for them here today as well icon_smile.gif

HTH icon_smile.gif

graciesj Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 4:51am
post #10 of 10

ahhhh, sounds great. The next time I'm at Micheals I'll check it out. thank-you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%