Help! What Should I Use To Attach Sugar Crystals To Fondant?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 5:01pm by VS8894

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:07am
post #1 of 5

I ordered the sugar crystals and it says not to use anything wet to attach to cake? I am not sure what to use. Before receiving them, I thought of using either piping gel or royal icing. This is my daughter's wedding cake and I don't want to mess it up. Also, can I use piping gel to hold my fondant roses on the fondant covered cake? Or will it be too heavy. Should I use royal icing? I tried searching forum, but didn't find any threads.

Wedding is in a week and I am now panicking on what do use.

Anyone?

Vicki

4 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:28am
post #2 of 5

Hi Vicki, I just read in another post that Cupadeecakes says she uses "shortening" to get her glitter ontop her gumpaste items so, maybe it will work well for fondant as well. Take a small piece of fondant and try it out first.

Also, you can use royal icing (just a smidgen) to secure yr roses to your cake. I use a TINY BIT of melted chocolate in the coolor of my fondant (if possible) and it stays put no matter what.

I hope this helps and congrats to your family on the wedding icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 11:13am
post #3 of 5

The reason it says not to use anything wet to attach them is because moisture makes them go cloudy.

The best thing to do is attach them as late as possible and rub them with a little oil.

To attach them to the cake you can use piping gel or water but do the things I said before and they should stay clear.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 5

Vicki, I read in a previous thread a while back to attach the crystals with a bit of melted chocolate. Good luck!

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

MSTHANG, what do you mean by a tiny bit of chocolate in the cooler fondant? Sorry I'm a very visual person!

If I use the melted chocolate do you think I can avoid the cloudy crystals? I am going to have to be putting the crystals on Thursday for the Saturday wedding, due to my time constraints. I will be prepared with oil to dust them the day of the wedding.

When you say melting chocolate, are we talking about the ones you get at Michael's and Hobby Lobby that you can make candy out of?

Thanks again for all the help!

Vicki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%