Height For Sheet Cake?

Decorating By lstalder Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 11:24pm by pastryqueen9

lstalder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lstalder Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:56am
post #1 of 11

Am making a 1/2 sheet cake. It is currently 1 3/4 inch high but I plan to torte and fill with a mousse (have already leveled it). Once I frost it will this be high enough? What height should I be aiming for in a sheet cake?

10 replies
Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:02am
post #2 of 11

with the filling, you should be just right, my sheets are typically 2" tall icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 11

sheet cakes are about 2" tall, kitchen cakes are about 4" tall.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 11

leily is spot on. sheet cake = 2".

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 2:12am
post #5 of 11

I know they are two inches tall - but mine are all 4" tall - I double stack. Just looks better and not so grocery store-ish. No matter how well they are decorated, a two inch tall cake looks screams grocery store to me.

So, mine are always 4" tall.

leily Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

o, mine are always 4" tall.

Then you're providing a kitchen cake, not a sheet cake.

ccc407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccc407 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

o, mine are always 4" tall.

Then you're providing a kitchen cake, not a sheet cake.

What is a "kitchen cake"? I have never heard the term before. Thanks.

ccc407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccc407 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 11

Duh!!! Wait a moment...my brain just kicked in. "Kitchen Cake"...probably like the cake the event holder cuts in the "kitchen" when the viewed wedding, etc., cake is a dummy cake or one not to be cut. DUH!!! Right???

leily Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc407

Duh!!! Wait a moment...my brain just kicked in. "Kitchen Cake"...probably like the cake the event holder cuts in the "kitchen" when the viewed wedding, etc., cake is a dummy cake or one not to be cut. DUH!!! Right???

yes, that is what they are typically for, but any 4" tall rectangle cake is usually considered a kitchen cake (no matter the event or if it's the only cake to be served) and the 2" tall rectangle cake is a sheet cake.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, I began my post with I saying I know that. But I still sell them at 4" high when customers ask for a sheet cake. Most customers don't know the difference between the two. It's not an important enough issue for me to "educate" them over. They ask for a sheet - they get a 4" high cake - it just looks better - and they all agree. And when they ask for what we would call kitchen cakes - they word they still use is sheets. I'm not going to argue semantics with a customer. Or anyone for that matter.

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 11

I do both 2" and 4" sheet cakes because that's what my competitors do. I do however charge double for the 4" sheet cakes because it is at least double the materials. I find that some customers want the taller cake either for personal preference or for the design element. I don't mind makig it as long as they don't mind paying. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%