How Do I Make A Cake Shiny?

Decorating By oeileio Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 6:09am by zespri

oeileio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oeileio Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 4:48am
post #1 of 8

How do I make a cake shiny? I want to make a sports car but I don't like it when its dull.

7 replies
NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:10am
post #2 of 8

I am assuming you are using fondant? If so, you can use a 50/50 mixture of corn syrup and alcohol. I used it on my poinsettia's this past Christmas. I just used a paint brush, and painted it on. It looked great! I am pretty sure I have it posted in my pictures. The cake has a basket weave on it, and is just a half of a round.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 2:59am
post #3 of 8

Someone on here got mad when I said this before - but I use just plain old water. After I'm done, I get my hands wet and run them over hte cake, Shiny cake every time.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 3:31am
post #4 of 8

I have heard of using SandyBrandon technique, but instead of painting it on, get a squirt bottle and squirt your mixture on. Or, if you have an airbrush machine, if you liquefy your solution enough, I bet airbrushing it would get it the cleanest effect! I would be worried about painting it on, leaving brush strokes, not what you want in a car!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 3:43am
post #5 of 8

You can steam it with your steam iron it will make it shine! icon_biggrin.gif
HTH
CIAO

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:09am
post #6 of 8

When I did it with the flowers, there were no brush marks. I was doing it on a dark color, red, so I think it would be fine on your car if you don't have an airbrush. I am wondering if it would be too thick to spray thru a spray bottle>? Hmmmmmmm....I will have to try that! Thank you CConfection

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:27am
post #7 of 8

I have a fewl fondant cakes in my collectiona dn I use a fanned paint brush dipped in water and color and the came out very intense and nice, I have also seen Duff use a steamer.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 6:09am
post #8 of 8

In one of my books she paints some vegetable shortening on. or else I've heard to paint with a mixture of corn syrup and vodka. Of course the ideal way would be a steamer. If it's a small piece, hold it over the steam of a just boiled jug.

tryingcake, I remember that thread! someone was envisaging you holding the cake under flowing water or something, lol! Yes, they did get a bit upset over nothing, we all have our own methods.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%