Tier/wedding Cake

Decorating By Msjckson Updated 12 Jan 2011 , 6:38pm by Msjckson

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone,

I have my first wedding cake tasting next weekend. I'm wondering how everyone comes up with prices for tiers and wedding cakes, also gumpaste/fondant flowers. I already know and understand the concept and how to factor out per slice pricing so I'm not asking that. Wedding cakes often times $1000 + so I'm wondering how those dollar amounts are factored and do you charge additional for gumpast/fondant flowers?

Thanks!

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 3

Not sure what you mean by "how those costs are factored"? can you clarify please?

If I saw a $1000 price tag on a cake, I would assume the cake would serve around 250 people (x $4/serving = $1000).

It always bugs me when someone talks about a (insert any price) cake. It's not a $1000 cake. Its enough cake to serve 250 people.

It's not a $10,000 dinner. It's enough food (at $40/person) to serve 250 people.

Its the mindset that bugs me. "Wow!! SHe bought a one thousand dollar cake!" Sure she did! She needed enough to feed 250 people. If she was only feeding 50 people, she would have bought a $200 cake.

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 3

Hi Indydebi,

For example. Someone was telling me that for her son\\'s Birday she purchased a 2 tier cake. The cake was 10inch on the bottom and 8inch on top. She said the Bakery charged $125 for this cake and they told her that because it was a tier cake that is why they charged so much. So I guess my question is would you charge an additional price because it\\'s a tier cake. You\\'ve sorta answered my question though.. just go by the amount being served. Thanks for responding..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%