Support

Decorating By TheBakingNurse Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 4:21am by TheBakingNurse

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 7

A am making a 3d princess and am wondering what type of bendable but sturdy support I could use...any suggestions? Also I have seen many cakes with the wires holding balls of fondant....what type of wire is used? Any suggestions are appreciated

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakingNurse

A am making a 3d princess and am wondering what type of bendable but sturdy support I could use...any suggestions?

Why would you want a bendable support? Bendable doesn't equal sturdy, your cake/icing could crack.

CakeFaerieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeFaerieK Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 7

Not sure what you mean about 3-d on this one.
Are you going to use the wonder mold pan for the dress?

And I have seen those fancy wires, already shaped, at Michael's. They look nice. I have never used them though.
I have used floral wire. You can pick the guage wire you want with floral wire.
Good luck! icon_wink.gif

TheBakingNurse Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:18am
post #4 of 7

What I mean by bendable is an inner support that I could shape to to make the arms stand up as though she is waving. I need something strong enough to hold the weight of the crispy treats. I will be using a dome pan for the dress but the upper body will be cereal treats. The only floral wire I have found in town has been far too thin..but I will keep looking thanks so much

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:34am
post #5 of 7
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:25am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakingNurse

What I mean by bendable is an inner support that I could shape to to make the arms stand up as though she is waving. I need something strong enough to hold the weight of the crispy treats. I will be using a dome pan for the dress but the upper body will be cereal treats.

For that, you could use a series of PVC pipe for the structure. Keep in mind that it needs to be built from the ground up (if you will), or from inside the dress starting at the base or else her arms would be free-spinning.

TheBakingNurse Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:21am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for that thread it was a great help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%