How Long Will A Fondant Covered Board Keep??

Decorating By Aimersxox Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 1:31am by blissfulbaker

Aimersxox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimersxox Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 5:45am
post #1 of 5

I was suppose to be decorating a cake for a friend... But when I went to torte my cake, my thumb had a run in with the kitchen knife I was using. Had to go to emergency, and now will not be able to decorate anything.

I had all ready covered and decorated the cake board with fondant yesterday and left it to dry... we have postpone the making of the cake for a couple of weeks (when I have use of all digits!), and I am wondering if the covered board will still be usable... it seems like such a waste of fondant!

Advice is greatly appreciated!

4 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:16am
post #2 of 5

last night i finally removed the fondant i had covered a cake plate with for a display dummy cake from a year ago. honestly it looked the same as it did when i originally put it on (except for all the dust!). i think just keep it covered so it can't get dirty and it will keep for a long time. it will be nice and hard so you don't even have to worry about smudging it.

i'm so sorry about your poor thumb! hugs!

Aimersxox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimersxox Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:22am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your reply Metria! My thumb is on the mend and I did the cake tonight and the board was perfect... I think I will do all my boards at least a week prior from now on... the fondant didn't smudge and was great to work with!

Catedooley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Catedooley Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:20am
post #4 of 5

Has anyone ever covered a full sheet cake board with homemake MMF? I'm trying to figure out how many batches I would need. I've had a hard time covering a 1/2 sheet board in the past so I am not looking forward to this!

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:31am
post #5 of 5

Keep the fondant covered board out of direct sunlight, otherwise it may fade. Pinks and purples seem to fade the fastest. I would cover it with tin foil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%