Substitute For Gum Tragacanth?

Baking By dulcecakes Updated 9 Jan 2011 , 1:47am by artscallion

dulcecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcecakes Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 1:11am
post #1 of 3

I want to make gum paste out of my satin ice fondant, which calls for gum tragacanth, but is not available in my area. anyone have any suggestions for substitutes?

2 replies
blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 1:24am
post #2 of 3

I have added some Gum-Tex to fondant to make it like gum paste. Wilton makes it. You can also use Tylose powder.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 1:47am
post #3 of 3

I use this...

It's the same ingredient as in Tylose, but it's about 80% cheaper. I just sprinkle some over my fondant and then kneed it in when I want something that will set firmer than plain fondant, but don't have the need to make a batch of gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%