Help/advice Needed, 1St Time 3D Cake- Am I Ready?

Decorating By mbark Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 4:41am by mbark

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:49am
post #1 of 4

I could use some advice/help/encouragement here. I'm meeting with a couple tomorrow morning for a retirement cake for a man who is a "seabee". They want a 3d cake with the seabee figure on it, I found this one in the galleries-
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/54015
Anyway, I haven't done a ton of 3d cakes and have only worked with RKT a couple times... so do you think I could do the body in cake and then the head & arms in RKT & all covered in fondant?
I am a little nervous as I feel this will be a challenge for me- how do you know when you're ready to do something you feel is a little out of your comfort zone? (Another one for me is topsy turvy, I haven't done one yet & would be nervous to try for a paying customer!). The last thing I want to do is promise something I cannot deliver. On the other hand, I have lots of experience & cakes under my belt.
For this type of a 3d cake, how do you determine serving size? They need it serve at least 40. I'm thinking of having the bee sit on another cake to get all the servings needed.
And how much to charge? Yikes, want it to be worth all my work & stress! icon_rolleyes.gif

3 replies
mbark Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:52am
post #2 of 4
handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:13am
post #3 of 4

I would do a cake that serves 40, with the seabee figure on it along with whatever else you wanted to incorporate--texturing, stripes, a plaque--whatever. Make the seabee no larger than your fist, with the body RKT and the rest fondant or 50/50. You'll do fine.

mbark Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:41am
post #4 of 4

thanks handymama! I will definitely pitch that to them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%