Can You Attach A Paper Message On Fondant?

Decorating By Jackie_PatriotsFan Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 9:38pm by RogueJediPrincess

Jackie_PatriotsFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie_PatriotsFan Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if I print out some nice text using my color printer at work if it's possible to attach that to fondant? I have some molds for the letters, but this is just in case I don't have time to get it done. It's for a friend, not being sold, just trying to have it look nice if I don't have time or the letters are messy.

I would create a nice decorative base of fondant to attach the paper. Would I use dots of royal icing on the edges? Will the fondant be greasy and bleed through the paper?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jackie

4 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 5

I think your asking if you can make a plague out of fondant - then paste paper letters on it then attach it to a cake - yes?

Yes, you could -
Make the plague ahead of time- let it dry for a couple of days so as it also hardens.

If it were me - i would make a tiny bit of sugar syrup
Recipe below...

Then just smear the tinest bit on the back of the paper letter with your finger - wipe any excess off with paper towell - then carefully place them on your fondant plague.

Altho - you could make your Fondant letters using the mold days/weeks before hand - and when they are nice and hard just keep them in a dry place free of dust.
They will be fine
Again you can use the sugar syrup to adhere them to the plague.

I only ever use sugar syrup to attach shapes/letters.
They stick like glue - without any bumps of icing underneath and sit nice and flat.
Its also what i use when attaching shapes to wires.....

Sugar syrup recipe.

Equal parts water and castor sugar....(i think you might call it powdered sugar in the States - not icing sugar)
Bring to the boil - stirring.
Allow to boil lightly for one minute.
Remove from heat.
When cool pour into sterilized jar - and keep in fridge for up to 3 weeks.
When you wish to use it just pour a little into a dish so as not to cross contaminate.

Hope some of this helps

Bluehue.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 5

Castor sugar would be superfine granulated sugar.

Powdered sugar would actually be icing sugar. (think of it looking like actual powder)

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 12:50am
post #4 of 5

Oh - ok
Thanks myslady thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

RogueJediPrincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RogueJediPrincess Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 5

I put a paper label on a whisky bottle cake for halloween. Just put a lillte water on the fondant and stick the paper on. I just pealed it off before serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%