Buttercream Tiers

Decorating By Frecklysmom Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 2:39pm by Frecklysmom

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:40am
post #1 of 7

I remember reading somewhere on here that you can put something in between buttercream tiers to keep them from sticking together when it is time to serve the cake. Does anyone know what is used for this?

6 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:39am
post #2 of 7

I'd like to know this too.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:49am
post #3 of 7

Many use waxed paper or powdered sugar... some use coconut, but I wouldn't recommend it because of allergies.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:15am
post #4 of 7

Rice paper works really nice.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 7

No, you don't "have" to put something between the tiers. My icing is a good crusting BC. I wait until it's crusted, then set the cakes in place. Since I cut and served most of my cakes, I was there to see first hand that the icing didn't stick.

I agree with not using coconut unless you clear it with the client. I'm not allergic but I HATE coconut. And if there was one flake of coconut on my cake, I would demand a FULL refund because I'd consider the cake inedible. yes, I WOULD return the whole dang cake because I would not allow it to be eaten. I didnt' order a cake with coconut. I'm not accepting a cake with coconut. I'm not paying for a cake with coconut.

Did I mention how much I REALLY hate coconut?

HEre is a photo of me cutting my son's wedding cake. As you can see, the tiers have no icing pulled off from sticking to the upper tier. (using my Flickr link because I can't get the "other photos" to come up here on CC right now). http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/5250438494/

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 7

I can attest to what Indydebi is saying about her buttercream! Crusts perfectly, and allows you to stack the tiers without worry of of it pulling away from the cake when you are taking the tiers apart later. A great recipe that is easy to make, is consistent every time, and tastes great...and is a dream to work with. Highly recommend! thumbs_up.gif

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for all the replies.

Debi, yours is the only buttercream I use so I guess problem solved! I also want to say that I really appreciate all your words of wisdom and the years of experience you share with all of us.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%