Buttercream Cake With Fondant Leaves

Decorating By leahm Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 5:53am by simplysouthern

leahm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahm Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to make this cake by a bride who wants all buttercream. I told her I believe the flowers and leaves will have to be fondant. How should I go about making the flowers and leaves? All fondant? Part gumpaste? do I make them ahead and let them dry on cake dummies?

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 5

I made my son's wedding cake .... all BC; BC 'stem' going down the length of the cake; fondant leaves on the stems. See pic in my photos (whtie cake with black stems/leaves .... I think it's the first pic).

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 5

What kind of flowers? Many flowers can be made with buttercream with great results.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 5

Wish we could see a pic. Some flowers can be made with all fondant and some need a little extra firmness to hold their shape. Same for your drying technique. It depends on the shape you want them to hold. I have used styrofoam egg crates(the one you get when you buy large crates of eggs) to dry large amounts of petal flowers and daisies. Other flower like lilies would obvious need a different technique, but yes I dry before hand.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:53am
post #5 of 5

If the bride wants the bc flowers there are so many that turn out stunning in bc!! There are some great guides on YouTube for making bc flowers. If you have a photo we can tell you if they will be better in fondant, bc, or a fondant/gumpaste mix etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%