Hi And Happy New Year!

Decorating By Lakergirl6743 Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 6:21pm by annie84

Lakergirl6743 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lakergirl6743 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 3

I have a question. I have been decorating cakes for about 2 1/2 years now, self taught and part time. My question is I have a very hard time getting my buttercream icing to tint red, like a christmas red, it does not matter how much gel colour I use I can't get past a pinky colour. What's the secret.
Thanks so much!

2 replies
Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 3

I saw a video on serious cakes where she tints the buttercream orange, adds pink and then adds lots of "no taste" red to it, I havent tried it yet but she got a nice red from it.

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 3

Hi Lakergirl,

What brand of colouring are you using? If it's Wilton or just regular food colouring from the grocery store, it is next to impossible to get a true red. The product I use is Red Extra from Sugarflair. I find it works really well! Make sure you let it stand for about half an hour after adding the colour as it darkens quite a bit.

I'm not sure where you can purchase that in Elliot Lake, but I buy it from Klara Johnsons in Cambridge. They have an onine store so I'm assuming the would ship it. http://www.klarajohnsons.com/

Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%