Rice Krispies Are Ugh! Help!!!

Baking By Buttercream_warrior Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 3:59am by Buttercream_warrior

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:15am
post #1 of 11

im making a skateboard cake and decided to use rice krispie treats for the wheels..i made a batch and let it cool and when i started to work on it it just fell apart and is a big goey mess icon_mad.gif ??is there anyway i can fix this or should i just go to town and buy a box of krispie treats alreaDy made??help!! icon_cry.gif

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:23am
post #2 of 11

I mold mine when they're hot.
Sometimes I hold them (in a pot) over a container of hot water so they stay warm & moldable.

Then mine have to set up for several hours to really get where they need to be.

But I'm always amazed when I see them on tv using what seems like room temperature rkt--Or at least they are pre-made pre-packaged--I don't know how to do that.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:29am
post #3 of 11

If you add some melted white chocolate while you are mixing them, this helps them to firm up nicely.
I agree, mold them while they are still warm, let cool and they should work for you.
Good Luck!

At this point, couldn't you cut them out with a biscuit cutter?
I wonder if they would soften if you warmed a few seconds in the microwave?

Buttercream_warrior Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:36am
post #4 of 11

they arent hard..theyre really gooey! they are like falling apart..i tryed molding them but it just falls apart icon_sad.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:41am
post #5 of 11

When I use them, I use more cereal, less marshmallow, and just a dab of butter. Then I coat them in white chocolate. If you want it a little smoother, you can crush the cereal and it won't be as lumpy. But this will make them much heavier. icon_smile.gif

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:47am
post #6 of 11

how about you try adding a little more cereal? (if you have some) it should compensate for the gooey-ness

Buttercream_warrior Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:03am
post #7 of 11

do you coat them with chocolate after you mold them?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:08am
post #8 of 11

I do, it helps make it smoother. icon_smile.gif

Buttercream_warrior Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:30am
post #9 of 11

well i tried to mold them the best i could and stuck it in the freezer and now im going to coat it so hopefully this helps..thanks everyone!

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:43am
post #10 of 11

had the same problem when I made the RKT. Leave out the butter and use more cereal, it should help. And then give them a day to "dry".
Now I always use the premade ones, easier to work with and give them a day to dry after I've shaped them. Good luck!

Buttercream_warrior Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:59am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraya

had the same problem when I made the RKT. Leave out the butter and use more cereal, it should help. And then give them a day to "dry".
Now I always use the premade ones, easier to work with and give them a day to dry after I've shaped them. Good luck!

definatly going to try the premade ones next time..this was a nightmare..lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%