What To Store A Decorated Cake In?

Decorating By GeorgiaC Updated 4 Jan 2011 , 7:14pm by TexasSugar

GeorgiaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaC Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 7

I made a gorgeous cake and then it ruined because I stored it in tupperware. The buttercream melted and the sprinkles bled everywhere. It was an unattractive cake after a day or two. I can see using a bakery box to carry a cake, but would like something attractive for a cake on my kitchen counter.

What do you use for your decorated cakes?

6 replies
Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 7

What about one of those glass covered cake plates?

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 7

Your kitchen is the worst place to keep a cake that has been iced...I prefer somewhere cooler in the house (also, it keeps me from cutting 'just a little piece' each time I look at it icon_lol.gif )... You need to let the buttercream be way below 78 degrees...it will melt. I usually will keep mine in the fridge or in a very cool area where it will not melt. The sprinkles are sugar and they will melt, as the buttercream does...the fat in the buttercream helps that along, too.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 12:01am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibosh

I use one of these, and there is a little airflow under the glass since it doesn't sit perfectly flush with the plate so there is still a little airflow so you dont' get the icing melting from all the moisture

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:56am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibosh

That's what I use too.

GeorgiaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaC Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 7

Maybe until I find something I like, I'll just use my Tupperware round and square covers with them just resting on the cake board I used - not sealed with the bottom Tupperware "plate".

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 7

The problem with air tight containers like the tupperware are that they hold in all the moisture, which in some cakes doesn't work well with cakes. It will cause fondant flowers or fondant decorations on a buttercream cake to wilt or melt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%