Which Cake Turnable To Buy?

Decorating By usmdesigner Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 1:20am by imagenthatnj

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 16

I was looking on Amazon at the Ateco Revolving Cake Stand (circle and square).

Which one would be a better purchase? Do you guys have both these types or do you just get one and work with it.

15 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 16

I have the round Fat Dadios and it's awsome. I replaced the Wilton heavy duty one that was a piece of crap.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 16

I've been wanting to purchase the Fat Dadio because it seems to be better quality. However, I have noticed on a few of the cake shows some of the decorators are using a wood lazy suzan, the kind you put on your dining table or spices on, alot cheaper.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 16

Even Planet Cake advises to buy a lazy susan. I read in another thread that the one Ikea sells was great. I am still undecided.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 16

Keep in mind, if you're used to spinning your turntable from underneath (pedestal type), a lazy susan won't work well unless you prop it up on a coffee can or something similiar.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:30am
post #6 of 16

Just make sure if you buy a lazy susan not to get one that has a raised lip around the edge. A lip will make it difficult to slide an offset spatula under the cake to lift it, and will make it a real pain to slide a cake off.

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:49am
post #7 of 16

The best purchase I have made was my turntable that flips from a circle to a rectangle. It is called decorators delight & is on globals website. So easy to clean & super sturdy!! Seriously best money spent all year!

yvonne123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvonne123 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:05am
post #8 of 16

I bought my lazy susan from Ikea, and I love it. It is the brown wooden one, I got it for $10. I have a turntable from wilton also but I use the wooden one more.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:11am
post #9 of 16

I had the Wilton one, and SURPRISE (note the sarcasm) it was cheap and it broke. Bought a Fat Daddio's and never looked back.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 1:01pm
post #10 of 16

I went on-line and bought heavy duty barrings and made one. Best thing I ever did!!! thumbs_up.gif

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 16

Hmmm, would I be considered weird if I told you a dismantled a tv-turner stand to make a cake stand that would hold large square cakes?

I hope not because it works great. I have a round one from Wilton that so far I like. I wonder if it's my inexperience that makes me not call it a piece of crap like everyone else? icon_smile.gif So far, it works well. My invented one had a metal band around the wood pieces that was coming off so I'm ashamed to say that I covered it with Black Duct tape. icon_wink.gif One side of my invented one is square, but the side that I use is about 18" x 12" and I put a 15x22" cake on a large board the other day it worked beautiful. icon_smile.gif

Christy icon_smile.gif

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 10:43pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I went on-line and bought heavy duty barrings and made one. Best thing I ever did!!! thumbs_up.gif

I was actually thinking of this idea as well. My dad does some wood working and I would probably lean towards this, as I can make a larger size than 12". I'm sure there are some vids on assembling one of these from scratch.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 10:50pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Even Planet Cake advises to buy a lazy susan. I read in another thread that the one Ikea sells was great. I am still undecided.

I have 5 of the ateco turntables that we use when we want the cakes elevated, but those Ikea turntables are VERY cheap and they don't gunk up and such And are easy to just stack! They are also pretty big and will handle sheet bakes very nicely..

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmdesigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I was actually thinking of this idea as well. My dad does some wood working and I would probably lean towards this, as I can make a larger size than 12". I'm sure there are some vids on assembling one of these from scratch.

It was really easy and it will hold up to a 750lb cake. (I don't think I could make a cake that heavy, even if I was standing on with my cake!) icon_lol.gif

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:15am
post #15 of 16

Home Depot/Lowes etc sell the bare lazy suzan machanism--a sort of circle track w/ball bearings inside. We used one w/a heavy piece of particle board to make a turntable for our big screen TV for under $20.

Pretty sure you could use the same item to make a cake turn table. I've been meaning to get one and sandwich it between a circle of plywood and a square or rectangle so I can just flip it to the side I need for either a round or square cake.

Kristy

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 1:20am
post #16 of 16

usmdesigner, you probably already bought your turntable, but I wanted to let you know that I got this one at Amazon, and it is great. I also wanted a reversible one, rectangle and circle at the same time. It's sturdy, cleans easily and it rolls smoothly.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003A02TR4/?tag=cakecentral-20

I guess it's what KJ62798 built on her own, but I just don't have time to go through the trouble.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%