Satin Ribbon

Decorating By pinksugarcake Updated 3 Jan 2011 , 4:33pm by Buttercream_warrior

pinksugarcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinksugarcake Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 5

I am hoping to use satin ribbon around my cake layers for an upcoming wedding. The bride wants buttercream frosting. Will the frosting bleed into the ribbon? How should I or do I need to create a border between the two?

4 replies
Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 5

i always allow my buttercream to completely dry and crust before i add the ribbon..and ive never had any trouble with bleeding! i hope that helps!

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 5

I would search the forum, I have seen this question before. Someone said that they use some type of backing on their ribbon to keep it from bleeding.

I have waited for my BC to completely dry before adding the ribbon, but it was a hot day and it bled anyways. The bride wasn't too upset because by the time the wedding came the whole ribbon bled to a new color, and it was still the right color. But I don't think I would get that lucky again.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 5

I just wet my ribbon and squeeze out the excess water before wrapping it around the cake, once it's moist it won't absorb any additional liquid......this does make the ribbon a little darker (so get it a shade or two lighter than the end product needs to be) but it's quick and it works and no spottiness!

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I just wet my ribbon and squeeze out the excess water before wrapping it around the cake, once it's moist it won't absorb any additional liquid......this does make the ribbon a little darker (so get it a shade or two lighter than the end product needs to be) but it's quick and it works and no spottiness!

icon_redface.gif I forgot to add that i spray my ribbon with water to make it stay..sorry..i have a spray water bottle for that purpose!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%