Little Bugs In Cake Mix- I Think?

Decorating By disney16 Updated 2 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm by KathysCC

disney16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disney16 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a cake for a friend of mine and I remember reading that you should sift box cakes so I thought I would give it a try. The yellow cake was fine, but I noticed a little bugs ( I think) in the devil's food cake. Now I'm wondering if I was seeing things but also grateful that I decided to try sifting the cake mix. I'm not really sure if they were little bugs but they sure looked strange and I threw the whole thing in the trash.

Has this happened to anyone else? icon_sad.gif

8 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 9

I didn't find bugs, but hard lumps the other day. I called Betty Crocker and they are sending me vouchers to replace the mix as well as a check to cover the cost of ingredients I wasted (I didn't sift and only discovered the lumps after mixing the batter).

I posted about it and other members shared some icky mix stories as well:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7025322-.html#7025322

Either way, you should call the manufacturer for a refund.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 9

You get flour and sugar mites, I don't know if they are the same thing or not, or if they would affect cake mix. (apparently safe to bake/eat) but they are very recognisable as little bugs.
xx

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 9

To prevent this, put the cake mix in the freezer for 24 to 48 hours. Sift before using. You can also put a dried red hot chili pepper in your mix when storing (won't affect it at all.) This keeps the larvae from hatching. (Do the same thing in your beans and cornmeal in the pantry.)

disney16 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

To prevent this, put the cake mix in the freezer for 24 to 48 hours. Sift before using. You can also put a dried red hot chili pepper in your mix when storing (won't affect it at all.) This keeps the larvae from hatching. (Do the same thing in your beans and cornmeal in the pantry.)

But I just purchased this cake mix 2 days ago. Do you I need to start storing all my mixes in the freezer?

becca_224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becca_224 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 9

I usually sift my cake mixes as well and have found cocoa nibs in some dark chocolate cake mixes at times, but if you are certain they were bugs I would absolutely contact the parent company.

disney16 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

I didn't find bugs, but hard lumps the other day. I called Betty Crocker and they are sending me vouchers to replace the mix as well as a check to cover the cost of ingredients I wasted (I didn't sift and only discovered the lumps after mixing the batter).

I posted about it and other members shared some icky mix stories as well:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7025322-.html#7025322

Either way, you should call the manufacturer for a refund.

Mine was BC also, so I went to their site and sent them an email advising them of what happened.

Thanks

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

But I just purchased this cake mix 2 days ago. Do you I need to start storing all my mixes in the freezer?

You don't have to but if it bothers you, then do it. If you have a quick turnaround on the mixes, then I wouldn't. If it's only been two days, then contact the company. Are you sure they're bugs and not cocoa nibs or something else?

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 9

Here is another thread going on now about bugs in flour.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-705640.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%