Does Anyone Offer Cake Tasting

Decorating By Ladybug78 Updated 1 Jan 2011 , 1:14am by Ladybug78

Ladybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug78 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:01am
post #1 of 6

Hi there,
I am in need of some help folks. I want to offer cake tasting during my consultations but don't want to bake (then waste) several cakes each time? Any suggestions?

Or... if you have time can you share a typical Cake Consultation story. Any help is appreciated, thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:41am
post #2 of 6

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of threads on cake tastings available in the forum search archives.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 6

You don't have to serve a whole cake at each appointment. I only baked once for every 9 appts.

I baked an 8" square of white, choc, and a third flavor (usually red velvet, sometimes carrot). cut the 8" square into 9 pieces (3 rows x 3 columns). This cake will fit in a gallon size ziplok bag, so I'd just slide the whole thing in the bag and keep it in the freezer.

About 30 minutes before the appt, I'd pull one square of each flavor out of the bag to thaw. (I'd put them in another bag to thaw to retain the moisture and avoid them drying out.) These approx 2.5x2.5" squares were served "naked" with icings and fillings on the side for the couple to mix-n-match with. It's a great way to show how a choc cake can have a TOTALLY different taste with red raspberry filling compared to choc fudge filling.

I've tried to search for the thread that has a TON of photos of how some of us do our samplings ..... and I'm still looking. If/when I find it, I'll post it here for you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 6

Oh wouldn't you know it! The second I close out this response, the very next thread I check is the one I'm looking for! icon_eek.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=592119&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tray&&start=0

Pics start on page 2 ... definitely check out the beautiful display by FromScratch on page 3.

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 6

I've started using my 4" pans for exactly this reason. Every time I have leftover batter I fill up a couple and then just freeze them.

Ladybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug78 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 1:14am
post #6 of 6

I appreciate your help. This had me slightly puzzled. :0) I understand this post was moved so I will continue my research. But I really like the cake square in a bag idea. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%