Fondant

Decorating By SHELLSTAR Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 7:31pm by TheCakeLab

SHELLSTAR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHELLSTAR Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:04am
post #1 of 10

I am new to this website and I love it. I have been working a lot with fondant. I want to know do I get that glossy look on the fondant cakes.

9 replies
tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:25am
post #2 of 10

I give mine a bath when I'm done. I run the faucet, hold my hands under the running water and then rub it over the cake. I know someone who rubs a thin layer of Sweetex over the cake. It keeps it from cracking and makes it shiny. You can't taste it. But I've never been able to bring myself to do it.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:46am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

I give mine a bath when I'm done. I run the faucet, hold my hands under the running water and then rub it over the cake. I know someone who rubs a thin layer of Sweetex over the cake. It keeps it from cracking and makes it shiny. You can't taste it. But I've never been able to bring myself to do it.

So you wet the cake down to give the fondant a sheen? I've not heard of people doing this so I'm curious...how easy is it to get an even shine all over the fondant?

Could a trigger spray bottle used to mist water over a cake work too do you think?

tryingcake Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:09am
post #4 of 10

I forgot about that - I did that when I first started giving it a bath. It leaves spots. I have to smooth it even. So I figured it didn't matter if I used a bottle or running water - either way I had to involved my hands.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:48am
post #5 of 10

Most people steam it with an upholstery steamer.

ozgirl42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozgirl42 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 9:59am
post #6 of 10
Quote:

I'm horrified! I've never known anyone to treat fondant like this.
You put your fondant on your cake and then use either cornflour or pure confectioners sugar to "polish" the fondant. If you want "gloss" I would suggest you use pearl dust or steam rather than running it under a tap! By wetting the fondant you are making more work for yourself than you need to in order to get a good smooth glossy finish.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 10:50am
post #7 of 10

it depends what picture you are looking at. confectioners glaze gives the shiniest finish.
xx

tryingcake Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgirl42

Quote:

I'm horrified! I've never known anyone to treat fondant like this.
You put your fondant on your cake and then use either cornflour or pure confectioners sugar to "polish" the fondant. If you want "gloss" I would suggest you use pearl dust or steam rather than running it under a tap! By wetting the fondant you are making more work for yourself than you need to in order to get a good smooth glossy finish.

How is this making more work for myself? It takes seconds. Using confectioner's glaze, as someone else suggested is a much more timely (as well as costly) process.

Cornflour or more sugar only dulls it. Well, I'm guessing because I've never tried it. I'm confused how a dull product will make it shiny.

NOT ONCE did I say I run the cake under a tap. I said I run my hands under the tap and then rub the cake down. Two very different things. It's very little water hitting the cake and gives it a very nice sheen.

You can say your method is different and you get great results. You can't say mine is wrong or horrible. It's simply different and I also get great results. This is simply what I do - others can try it or not. I told you about the person who rubs sweetex over hers. I've tasted her cakes. Wonderful!! But I still can't bring myself to do it. It doesn't make her method wrong. Only different from mine.... same results.

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 10

I like to paint it with vodka to get a shine.

TheCakeLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeLab Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 10

i just use The Mat, and i love the finish it puts on it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%