Waterfall

Decorating By romansfamily Updated 28 Dec 2010 , 11:48pm by DSmo

romansfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
romansfamily Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 5

how do i use buttercream icing on a layered cake (different size layers) to look in color like a waterfall (shades of white and blue).

4 replies
drummerg68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drummerg68 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 5

When I need a water effect I put white frosting down first, then I get clear piping gel and tint it blue and spread that on top. The white still comes through giving you an awesome water effect.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 5

First, I think I would make the "pool" where the waterfall ends with some blue gel icing. Then I would make a couple different colors of blue icing and "stripe" my icing bag with the different colors of blue and white. Striping is when you take your icing bag and you put in more than one color (sorry, if you already knew this). Using the shell border tip (#133) bring the "waterfall" down the side of the cake ending in the gel "pool". Then maybe some random "splashes" too. Then maybe dab on some blue gel icing. I hope this made sense. Practice it on some parchment paper first too see if it gives the effect you are looking for.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 5

If you really want to use BC and you don't have an airbrush, you can use the blue Wilton icing spray to get a water look (more for waves, but may work for waterfall). If you are interested in checking it out, I did it around my cruise ship cake.
But I think the piping gel will give you a better waterfall look. Perhaps you can put it on top of the blue sprayed BC? Please post pics after...

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 5

I did one with buttercream and piping gel. I piped blue bc for the water flowing down, then added some white. Then I added clear piping gel over the whole thing. Pic is here: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1867055

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%