Agbay.....all Types Of Cake.....

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 2 Jan 2011 , 12:49pm by leah_s

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 4:46am
post #1 of 22

will agbay cut all types of cake, light and fluffy as well as dense?

21 replies
madgeowens Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:45am
post #2 of 22

I mean.....do you get clean cuts with all cakes? Whats been your experience? Tia

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:56am
post #3 of 22

Define light and fluffy - as in boxed mix without enhancement, or angelfood, or what?

I know I would never use it on an angelfood cake, nor on a flourless cake, but otherwise, I see no problem using it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 22

I see no reason not to use it on everything. That's what it's made for - cutting cakes. All types of cakes.

madgeowens Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 22

leah.....your the person who talked me into asking for this for Christmas lol....I just wanted to make sure there were no secrets I am going to learn the hard way....hehehe

madgeowens Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 22

oh..and yes as in cake mix no enhancements or angel food yes....anything and everything

leah_s Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 22

madge, the only secret you're going to learn is that the thing is unbelievably sharp. Expect to sacrifice a finger. Well, just a cut on your finger, not a whole finger.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 22

The only bad review of an Agbay that I EVER saw was one lady who thought it was too much trouble to get out when she wanted to use it.

Other than that, every other review I've ever seen is glowing. It does what it's supposed to, flawlessly. I love mine, I only wish I did more cakes so I could get to use it more often. icon_smile.gif

If you get it, do buy the cleaner/blade scraper (I think it's like $7), that helps clean the gunk off if you have a really moist cake.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 22

I so wish I asked for agbay, but it was too late!!!
maybe for Mother's Day thumbs_up.gif
Jodi

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 22

It's exactly as advertised. I can't tell you enough how much I love mine. It is harder to cut extra moist cakes, particularly when they're smaller (the big ones weigh themselves down, the smaller ones you have to hold just right), but nothing too hard icon_wink.gif. And I shudder to think of how hard those cakes were WITHOUT an Agbay anyway! I know you'll love it as much as I love mine icon_smile.gif.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 22

The only issue I have with mine is if I have a really moist cake and I'm only slicing off a tiny bit to level it. It will sometimes gum up and drag thru the cake. Other than that and the fact that I too have sliced a finger......it is FANTASTIC!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 22

I had trouble with a carrot cake once and it kept getting snagged on pieces of nuts, etc...so I learned to pop it in the freezer for a little bit first.

madgeowens Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:34am
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

madge, the only secret you're going to learn is that the thing is unbelievably sharp. Expect to sacrifice a finger. Well, just a cut on your finger, not a whole finger.

oh geeze...I just sliced my finger slicing an orange hahaha....I will be extra careful with my agbay.....also they tell you to sit the cake on non skid material so it holds still for you to cut....

LaBellaTorta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaTorta Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 11:56am
post #14 of 22

Mine came through today!!!! Cannot wait to try it out. I am a complete klutz though, so will have the first aid kit on standby!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:52pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

If you get it, do buy the cleaner/blade scraper (I think it's like $7), that helps clean the gunk off if you have a really moist cake.

I just got mine this week (haven't used it yet) and they're now including the cleaning tool with the purchase.

madgeowens Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 2:57pm
post #16 of 22

lol yes, a first aid kit sounds like a must!
I am going to bake today so I can use it!!!!
Happy New Year Everyone!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:06pm
post #17 of 22

Everyone is absolutely correct....the Agbay is a jewel of a tool...now tht I have it, it has become indispensable and I've tossed out the old flimsy Wilton levelers. And I've only lost one fingertip to my Agbay!!!!! Don't even think of taking it out of my kitchen!!! icon_smile.gif

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:29pm
post #18 of 22

I love mine! It's great, I don't see why it wouldn't work on all cakes.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:59am
post #19 of 22

Ooooh,oooh, I love mine, too! Yes, VERY sharp. It doesn't fit in my dishwasher, though. How do you others clean yours? I clean mine with hot water and a soapy paper towel and to sanitize it I molded foil around it to make a trough and I sit the Agbay in it with bleach water. I just fold the foil up a bit and put it away so I can use it again.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 2:26am
post #20 of 22

I haven't found a cake it didn't work beautifully on. As far as cleaning, I clean the blade from the backside, slowly and carefully and mist with a sanitizer and allow to air dry.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 2:47am
post #21 of 22

I love, love, love, did I say LOVE my agbay! It's really sturdy too (hubby knocked it down the stairs with no issues - to the agbay that is!). Definately must watch the blade though, it isn't forgiving to fingers that end up in the way. I know you'll enjoy yours.

leah_s Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 12:49pm
post #22 of 22

Kansas has the cleaning and sanitizing procedure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%