Sculpture Camera Cake...

Decorating By cats28 Updated 28 Dec 2010 , 9:55pm by cats28

cats28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats28 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 3:45am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone:
Does anyone knows if there are intructions on how to carve a camera cake? My son loves cameras and takes great photos and I want to surprise him with a camera cake.

Any help will be great appreciated. Thank you so much.
Have a good night.

4 replies
inspireddecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspireddecorator Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:31am
post #2 of 5

i havent made a camera cake, made my camera out of rkt. but if i was to make one, i would bake two 8 inch square cake, trim and level, cut part of it off to the hieght you want the camera to be, stand each cake up and ice in between, ice and cover all in fondant. i would make the lens out of rkt covered in fondant and then add all the camera details on it that are black. before putting all writing and colored details on, airbrush black or paint black to give it a nice sheen or shine. put the lens on with a few dowels right into the cake as far as you can go, but gum glue the base that will sit against the cake for stability. i would use pearl or luster dust to make the lense and digital window stand out.

hope it works out for you.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 6:51am
post #3 of 5

On ace of cakes, they did one, and showed a lot of detail on making the most difficult part, the lens. Try to google it or youtube it you might get some ideas from that episode. I personally, depending on how big you want it of course, would make a 2 layer 8 in square. Cut in half and stack on top of its self, making 4 layers. (make sure to look at a real camera or have pictures sitting near) then, carve the outer shape of the camera, then the top (not much to carve there) The lens I would do of RKT, to hold its shape. The glass on the lens I would do black gum paste sprayed with a mixture of vodka and Karo (please check on that I may be wrong on ingridents) to give it a shiny look. The details are all up to you on how much you want to copy from the real thing. Please post pictures when you are done!! Id love to see it!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats28 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 5

Hi everyone:
Thank each one of you for your help in my camera cake. You gave me so many solid ideas and links to check it out. Once I made my camera cake I will post it. I hope it comes out good. I am not that great in decorating cakes but I am going to do my best. Hugs to all you and Happy New Year.
Tina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%