"gritty" Butter Cream?

Lounge By christybean Updated 22 Dec 2010 , 5:11am by indydebi

christybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christybean Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 9

The buttercream I made for my daughter's birthday cake seemed to be fine when I made it and refrigerated it. The day to decorate, I whipped the BC prior to icing the cake then started to apply. It went on smooth for the first layer then all went bad...it started looking "gritty" and not spreading smoothly at all...What did I do wrong??

8 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 9

Did you use pure cane confectioners' sugar? If it doesn't say "pure cane" on the packaging (i.e. many store brands) it most likely is beet sugar, which can result in a gritty icing.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 9

Did you put plastic wrap on the top of the buttercream when you stored it? If not, it could be that the top of it crusted, and on rebeating it the crusty bits got distributed throughout the buttercream...

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 9

I'm thinking that you meant by gritty it had holes in it, air pockets and not a gritty taste or texture.

I get the same thing when I let my BC sit for a day. My theory is that the beater does not get fully covered and air gets incorporated into it. It doesn't show up til it sits. If I use it fresh it is not a problem.

I use SMBC exclusively. I am going to try and up my recipe til I get the amount that covers the beaters and then I'll know if my theory is right. In the mean time I stir and rub it against the side of the bowl to get the bubbles out. At least o. My last batch. I haven't made a cake this week yet.

BTW I don"'t get this problem when making cream cheese frosting, no matter how small of a batch I make. So maybe my theory is wrong. But then again I don't mix my CC frosting nearly as long as I beat my SMBC frosting.

christybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christybean Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:48am
post #5 of 9

what is smbc?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 2:36am
post #6 of 9

Swiss meringue butter cream

mookamoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookamoo Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:43am
post #7 of 9

did you sift the sugar before you put in in the mixer

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:05am
post #8 of 9

If you keep spreading the icing over and over in the same place or go back over another one, sometimes the buttercream will have already started crusting and that will give you a gritty look to the icing. Keep your knife clean for those touch-ups.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:11am
post #9 of 9

I agree that it may have started to crust while refrigerated.

(I never refrigerate my BC.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%