Is It Supposed To Turn Out Like This?

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 21 Dec 2010 , 2:08am by Karen421

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 19

Yesterday I made a chocolate ganche following this recipe: 12oz. chocolate, 1 cup heavy cream, and 1 tbsp butter. After bringing the cream and butter to a boil, I poured it over the chopped chocolate and let it sit 5 mins before stirring, then refridgerated for 1 hour.
I was using the ganache as a filling, and after about 2 minutes from being out of the fridge, it started to get a bit solid, so I microwaved it a bit to softened it up, then filled my cupcakes. Later on however, I noticed that the filling had returned to a sort of solid state, much like a truffle consistency. Not rock-hard, but solid enough to form a sort of ball in the cupcakes. It's my first time making ganache-is it supposed to be like that?

18 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 19

A softer ganache would be 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream. You're using 1.5 parts chocolate to 1 part cream, so yes, that will make it very firm.

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

A softer ganache would be 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream. You're using 1.5 parts chocolate to 1 part cream, so yes, that will make it very firm.

I see...is it still going to be okay to serve to my guests?

leah_s Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 19

There's nothing wrong with it. It will just be very firm, not soft and creamy.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 19

Maybe I'm slow...but wouldn't two parts chocolate to one part cream make it even firmer? Shouldn't it be equal parts chocolate and cream for a soft, creamy ganache?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 19

Nope - Leah is correct - 2 parts chocolate to 1 part heavy cream. White chocolate is 3 to 1 ratio. icon_smile.gif I like to whip mine when using it as a filling.

http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/

or for pouring

http://daisylanecakes.blogspot.com/search/label/ganache

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 3:09am
post #7 of 19

That confuses me. Using more cream makes it more firm? It seems like it would be the other way around considering the cream is liquid. I don't know because I don't make ganache.

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 3:38am
post #8 of 19

4realLaLa,

You are right, I think perhaps leah_s just made a typo. More cream DOES make it softer.

Another thing to note is that a higher cacao percentage chocolate will make a firmer ganache. So using the 2 parts chocolate to one part cream ratio for example, would make very hard ganache, particularly in winter.

leah_s Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 4:01am
post #9 of 19

Yah, I'm backwards. Sheesh . . .need to go eat some chocolate.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 4:06am
post #10 of 19

It should be the consistency of peanut butter for crumb coating. If I'm in a hurry, I stick it in the freezer instead of the fridge.

Karen421 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 19

Leah may have miss spoken and said softer and not firmer, but the ratios are correct. For chocolate it is 2 parts Chocolate to 1 part heavy cream and for White it is 3 parts White to 1 part heavy cream. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif And sticking it in the freezer with a paper towel over it works great!!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 6:18pm
post #12 of 19

I have a short cut ganache I use to drizzle on cakes, I've used it for other stuff too. Its good if you are in a hurry, has a shiny finish and it's pretty fool proof.
1 can chocolate frosting (store bought--DH or Pillsbury)
1/4 cup of chocolate candy melts, chopped

Heat icing over low heat add candy melts, stir until melted. If using for a drizzle drip a little from spoon onto side of bowl and make sure it runs but stops. Pour into a pan allow to set up and can be used for truffles.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 19

I use the ratios you used, refrigerate it for awhile, and then whip it until it's nice and fluffy. There is nothing better than whipped ganache. yum.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 19

karen. is that ratio also for mild chocolate the 2-1??

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:07am
post #15 of 19

milk chocolate is 3:1 ratio.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 12:07am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

karen. is that ratio also for mild chocolate the 2-1??

do you mean milk chocolate? I was taught it's the same as for white. What do others have as their recipe?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 1:07am
post #17 of 19

thanks, mom2twogrlz

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 1:26am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

thanks, mom2twogrlz

you're welcome.

Karen421 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 2:08am
post #19 of 19

If you google ganache you will find several different recipes, the consensus seems to be: Bittersweet and semi-sweet is 2 to 1: Milk and white is 3 to 1

I use 2 to 1 for my Milk Chocolate, but I usually add some semi-sweet in with it before I measure it out. Ganache is one of those things that isn't easy to mess up. If you think it is to thin, add more chocolate. If you think it is to thick add more heavy cream. It is very forgiving! icon_biggrin.gif Yummy too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%