Urgent!! Classic Chevy Impala Cake

Decorating By gingersnapp Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 8:53pm by metria

gingersnapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersnapp Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 3

i just got a order for this cake for 15ppl. have never done a car cake before but up to doing it- just have no idea how to start and don't know what to charge. she wants it Wednesday icon_eek.gif. i need to get back to her ASAP- is there a template i can use? PLEASE HELP. i think i can do it just not sure. i uselly charge $5 -6 per serve for my cakes.
Thanks

2 replies
aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 3

Well, I was gonna suggest Mike McCarey's DVD, Cakenology, but since you need it Wednesday, you can't do that. Go to the link below, she gives step by step instructions on how to do a car cake and she helped me do my first car cake. (Jimmy Johnson race car in my photos)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37331318@N08/sets/72157619119013020/

Car cakes can be tedious (in my opinion), so I charge waaaaayyyyy more than $5-6 per serving and I don't do one for less than $250.00, even for the small amount your customer is wanting. (not even sure you can make one for 15 ppl, again, just my opinion)

I go to blueprints.com to get prints for whatever car I'm doing and get them printed out at Kinko's, I then use that to carve the cake. HTH

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 3

ultimately you'd want that Mike McCarey's DVD, but it sounds like you're pressed for time. there's an episode of Amazing Wedding Cakes where Cake Alchemy does a 3D car cake; you can download that episode on iTunes. plenty of people have made tutorials for a Pixar Cars Lightning McQueen cake that sorta could translate to a real car. best of luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%