Cream Cheese Frosting?

Decorating By ali79756 Updated 21 Dec 2010 , 4:30am by adventuregal

ali79756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ali79756 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 7

can u color and decorate well with it? thanks for the help in advance have a great day!

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 7

hi, the true cream cheese icing is very soft. I have never tried to color it. i mainly use it on carrot cakes and red velvet. There is a decorator cream cheese icing in the recipe section here. But it is not the true cream cheese icing which is so good and tangy. They have added shortening to it , to make it easier to pipe with and to make it stay on the cakes. I have used it before on a wedding cake. It is ok, but not like the real recipe. hth I would think with all the butter in it, that the colors would not be true. I have read this here on c/c.

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 7

I have used the decorator recipe from CC on every red velvet cake I make. Everyone I serve it to loves it. However, I do add 8 additional ounces of cream cheese to it. I've never tried to color it, but I imagine it would color just like buttercream does since it uses pretty much the same ingredients.

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 7

I use a regular Cream Cheese Icing, and I color it all the time. You get more of a pastel type color with it. It doesn't take deep colors really well.

As far as decorations go, it doesn't work for decorating, I normally make the decorations either out of fondant or Buttercream. There are a few cream cheese cakes in my photos, The one with just three blue flowers, and the cake with all the circles are cream cheese frosting, and the round cake with the cala lillie and small blue drape was iced with cream cheese then covered with fondant. It was a really good combination.

ali79756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ali79756 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 7

thanks yall for the help! i hardly ever use cream cheese frosting but the person i am making the cake for always gets a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting never decorated but this time she wants it decorated for her sister in laws b-day cake so that's why i thought i better ask before i attempt it and have a cake wreak! lol.... I'm not sure if i should use the decorators icing since she already knows my cream cheese frosting she might be able to tell but i will ask her =) thanks again!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 7

You can use you cc frosting as the filling and a decorators cc. Frosting on the outside as a good compromise.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:30am
post #7 of 7

theres a good 'decorators cream cheese frosting' on here icon_smile.gif I've used it with good results thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%